Remove networking facility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
I have got a 4-5 year old old Sony Vaio laptop from work, which I would like to remove the networking functionality from it, how do I do this without losing other drivers for wifi and bluetooth etc.?
Or should i do a clean re-install?

A clean install really won't help, because windows will probably just reinstall the drivers. Just go to the device manager and disable the networking features you don't want (ethernet or wifi).

If you are giving this to someone to use and don't want them to be able to use the internet, you'll have to make a limited account for them and have them log into it when using the laptop. Otherwise a computer-savvy person would just know to go to device manager and enable the drivers (within a limited account they cannot make hardware changes).

Same thing applies if you want to uninstall it, a computer savvy person could just install the drivers themselves, but if you have them on their own account (limited) they can't do anything with the hardware or drivers.

Don't think I've explained well enough.
If a clean install outs all drivers for wifi and bluetooth etc. then fine.
It is setup to function on a work network, and accessed via CTRL+ALT+DEL etc, and has administrator rights (which I know), it all of this that I want to remove....what do I do?

Well I mean you won't even ahve to do a clean install. Just go to device manager and uninstall or disable all of the drivers / software associated with the components you don't want to work. I was just saying unless you put them on a limited account, they could still go in and install those drivers if they wanted.

Things like being able to bring up task manager, and other things you will probably have to go to a 3rd party tool if you are using XP. If you use Vista its limited account tools are much more indepth, you can tell them what apps they can run, they can't use the ctrl+alt+esc button to reach task manager.

I guess my question to you is what are you using this for? If you give a little more detail as to why you don't want people to be able to do these things maybe we can point you in the right direction. On a limited XP account what are you worried about them doing when they pull up the task manager screen?

Its not for they, its for me.
Its a work PC setup for use on a network.
I want to convert it for personal use without all the administrator and login hassle etc., and be able to wirelessly connect it to my home PC/router, for which I need to amend the workgroup, I believe.
I'm just not confident of logging on as admin and what to do in what order!

If the computer has wireless built in, just enable the wireless device, and search for the home network, and connect. To get a user that doesn't have administrator rights, go to Control Panel --> User Accounts --> Create a new Account. Make it a limited user. A limited account, is just that, it's very limited on what can be done on the computer. You can install some programs with them, but not all programs. You can't change any computer settings, that affects the computer. Once have you have created that new account, be it a limited account, or an administrator account, you will have to turn on Automatic Windows Logon, so you don't have to worry about logging in every time.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
3. Using your account name and password, double-click the DefaultUserName entry, type your user name, and then click OK.
4. Double-click the DefaultPassword entry, type your password under the value data box, and then click OK.

If there is no DefaultPassword value, create the value. To do this, follow these steps:
a. In Registry Editor, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
b. Type DefaultPassword as the value name, and then press ENTER.
c. Double-click the newly created key, and then type your password in the Value Data box.
If no DefaultPassword string is specified, Windows XP automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogon registry key from 1 (true) to 0 (false) to turn off the AutoAdminLogon feature.
5. Double-click the AutoAdminLogon entry, type 1 in the Value Data box, and then click OK.

If there is no AutoAdminLogon entry, create the entry. To do this, follow these steps:
a. In Registry Editor, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
b. Type AutoAdminLogon as the value name, and then press ENTER.
c. Double-click the newly created key, and then type 1 in the Value Data box.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
7. Click Start, click Restart, and then click OK.

If it's just for you and you want to be able to use it on your home network, just reinstall Windows and set it up as a home PC. It'll reinstall the WiFi/Bluetooth drivers and you'll be able to log into your own network and it won't have passwords and stuff.

Thanks, thats seems like the answer, though very simply put, wasn't sure if that was so, but just wanted somebody to confirm it, will give it a go then.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom