Problem at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilowe

Daemon Poster
I am having a problem at work that is getting really annoying.

I just Tuesday got a new computer system, and have never had these problems before.

Here's some background on how our network is setup. I have only user level access. We are on an almost entirely Windows network (there are a few *nix file servers, but very very few). Network uses Windows Active Directory. All of our printers are from a printer server, all of the files that I have to work on are on another server, and some of the apps that we use are network based.

I left work Monday, and came back late Tuesday morning to a new machine. One of our IT guys had migrated my user profile from my old machine to the new one.

Since then, I have been randomly locked out of servers on the network. For instance, I was able to log in this morning, and for two hours was able to use everything on the network. Then, for an hour, I was locked out of all the network servers. No printing, network apps, or files. I rebooted the machine, and couldn't log onto my computer because my account was locked out (Windows message to me).

Went downstairs to IM, who checked my account in Active Directory, and I was not locked out. He remoted into my computer, and I could mysteriously log on again. Worked fine until about 1:00 this afternoon, when the same thing happened. I was locked out of everything. Rebooted, and same thing, account locked. Waited a few minutes, tried again, and could log on, and get to everything.

Now, just a few minutes ago, I couldn't print anything. I had access to everything else, just not the print server.

My question is, what could the problem be? Access rights to the servers come from the Active Directory (I thought), so I shouldn't be having problems with that.

Would having IM delete my user id from the active directory and start a new one fix this problem? Or, is there a simpler solution that I'm not seeing.

Can other users log into your computer without problems?

Sounds like something went wrong when he moved your profile.

Alot of techs like to regedit the profile to move it, i've had better luck just moving the docs and settings over.

Althogh it could be something else entirely, Id just keep hounding IT till they fix it. :D

Yeah, sounds like he may have copied your ENTIRE profile rather than just the bits that copy nicely.

More importantly, its his mess. He's getting paid to fix it. Get on his case about it. :)

Where I work we have run in to similiar problems. In our case it is a hardware issue. We are a Dell shop and have found that certain Dell's have problems staying connected to the domain. I assume it could be a bad chipset on the NIC for these machines. Rejoing the machine to the domain has always fixed the problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom