Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dood884

Beta member
Ok, I tried hooking up a wireless connection to my apartment, however it did not work. had to do with the apartment. I couldnt use a standard router because my rooms are too far apart, so I bought another modem for my dsl connection. Am I allowed to do this and will it work?

Meaning I have 1 modem for my pc and 1 for my other pc in my room. Will they get mad at me if I have two seperate modems? I am currently with verizon dsl.

Unless you pay your ISP for 2 IP addresses this will most likely not work. Plus with most ISPs you have to register your modem with them before it will be allowed to connect to the Internet through their network.

I just called them and they said it might work if I have 1 modem on at once, but not 2.

You say they are too far apart, is this simply a signal strength issue?

I do a simular thing, I have a 802.11g wireless router upstairs next to my internet connection, I then have a wireless 802.11g access point downstairs that connects to my media centre computer.

The bottom wireless unit is acting as a bridge, by doing this you may find your wireless distance is covered as the two device meet roughly in the middle.

You are allowed up to 300ft between your router and your workstation, your apartment is longer than that?! Wow, have you considered increasing the gain on the wireless signal? With a Linksys router, you can buy bigger antenna, how about the wireless repeater in the middle?

You also have to consider the walls, what they are made of and the angle the signal penetrates. We've installed several dozen wireless networks for customers and I use one in my home. Metal ducting, masonary walls and even full bookshelves seem to severely reduce the wireless distance. If your apartment is constructed with steel studs it would impact it as well.

You can try redirecting the signal from wireless router by constructing an antenae using parts of a pringles can and aluminum foil. Cut off the can about two to three inches above the bottom. Noe cut this in half vertically. Take one of the peices, drill a hole in the bottom to fit your router's antenae, cover the whole thing with foil, place it on your router's antenae and direct towards the remote computer.

If it doesn't work you're only out the time it took to make it. I don't count the pringles because you got to eat them and drink a beer while making the antenae.

Other wise try Langers solution and get the access point for the remote.

One more thing

If you have a cordless phone next to the wireless router or the remote computer you may be causing the problem right there. Most wireless routers and NICs are 2.4 GHz - guess what? the cordless phones are too.

We kept losing signal every time a call came in or out. Then we moved the cordless away from the router and no more problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom