ports, firewalls, modems configuration trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephil

Beta member
I need help with a couple of problems. this is how my network is set up.

i have a Dlink DSL 300 modem, its connected to the host computer then i have another networking card in the host computer to which a second computer uses the internet through. i didnt realise i was going to have 2 computers when i got the modem so i didnt buy a router. the internet works fine i get the same speed as the host computer does.

The problem starts here...
I have tryed to make a ftp server and web server and all that stuff none of which work. Also i have tryed to make a dedicated server for the game Counter strike. None works. So the problem could be the ports and i have to forward them ? well if you have a Dlink DSL 300 modem you will realise there are no port forwarding settings on the modem. does this mean they are already forwarded ? or things are a pain in the ass ? i have zonealarm on the host pc, and i have tryed removing it and creating the server but no luck. i disabled all firewalls and tryed but still it does not work. I get the feeling some of the ports might not work because of the way my internet connection is set up.... from a host pc to a client through lan. (yes networking cards sound dodgey haha). i need to know what the problem actually is....

well if anyone thinks they can help please do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom