P2P Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobgodd

Solid State Member
ok here's my dilema. i have only very basic knowledge of computers so this is out of my AOR. anywho, i recently moved into a new apartment, with a new roommate, and the cable internet provider here, COX, only allows one modem to be hooked up and we decided that the cable account should be in his name, and so we would use his modem. he has a linksys cable modem model number BEFCMU10 and a linksys wireless-g broadband router model number WRT54G. so both of our computers are hooked up to it and they both work fine, except, i cannot use peer 2 peer programs anymore. i dont understand why.

at my old apartment, using my modem, through cox, i was downloading like a champ, same computer, same firewall settings, same everything, but i come here, and nothing. his computer works just fine with P2P, i am very clueless.

i can download from everywhere else, BUT a peer 2 peer program. i can stream just fine also.

any idears?

well i just use ARES. he uses ARES too but im not sure what else he uses.

how would i/we setup port forwarding?

if hes using it, port forwarding should be setup for him. Luckily ares allows you to change the port number it uses. Its somewhere in the config. If i remember correctly, ares picks a random port number each time it installs so you two shouldnt conflict by using the same port. You need to get into your router config to setup the port forward. I say talk to your buddy for setting this up as hes prolly done it before.

i just talked to him and he has no idea what port forwarding is, nor do i. how would we accomplish this?

can i just open up ares and choose a different port?

if you have AIM hit me up please, luvrgodd

hopefully there is a quick solution

ok, new set of issues, the router has 4 ports and two wireless links, he is using one of the wireless links via his laptop, he's not even using one of the ports. im using port 1. i am the only computer connected into the ports.

also in ares config, our port numbers are very different.

any suggestions?

start | run. cmd, press enter. ipconfig /all, press enter. remember the your pcs ip & gateway ip. open a web browser, browse to http://gatewayip this is the tricky part, you'll need the username and password for the router. once youre in look for port forwarding or lan setup. enter your port and ip address.

you'll need to look for a way for dhcp to assign your machine the same ip each time it connects. this is also in the router config somewhere, prolly with the dhcp settings

im not sure what a "wired" P2P connection is but we switched my lan cable from the 4th spot on the router to the first and for whatever reason it works now. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom