Odd Network problem with XP home and 98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbell210

Beta member
Where to start... everything was working fine for 3 days after setting up a fully wireless network with Dlink interal PCI cards and a microsoft G MN-700 router. 98 and XP could see each others shared files and 98 could print to the printers shared on the XP computer.
Then the other day both can still get on the internet but neither could see the other on the network. Both are in the same group, no firewall programs on either computer only Norton anti virus.

I fixed the XP machine so it can see the 98 one by reseting the TCP stack according to the Microsot knowledge base: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357 . But I still can't get the 98 machine to see the XP shared files. I've gone to FIND COMPUTER and it doesn't show up when I type the exact name in either. I also tried the same command line in 98 that I performed in XP. That didn't help either. Removing the card is not really an option since I'm not in the same state as the computer is. I'm helping my friend over the phone to get it all straightened out. If I really have to I guess I could, but thats a last resort.

Has anyone had this type of problem or have any ideas.?? I'm been looking and telling him to try things for 3 days. I've even had him add the IPX protocol to both hoping windows would use that for networking instead of the TCP, but still a no go.
Right now XP can do everything and see the 98 machine. The 98 machine can surf the web and get email , it just cannot see the local area network. These are the only 2 computers and both are wireless.

Thanks for any help

To connect to the XP computer I would agree, but to see it on the network they don't need the same user names
THanks though

update... stil not working....
I've enabled and disabled the XP firewall just to make sure it was turned off and I pinged the XP computer from the 98 computer with no response from host. Any ideas? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom