Not being able to configure the network using a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

qrs123

Beta member
Hello everybody,

I have the following problem. Please help.

I have a WAN cable from my Internet Service Provider (ISP) in my room. I used this cable to directly connect to the internet from my laptop. I have already had an IP address assigned to my laptop (Windows Vista) from my ISP. It used a fixed IP address and DNS server address (not automatically assigned). My second PC (desktop, Windows XP) was not connected to the internet and no IP address was assigned to that desktop.

Then, I bought a switch TL-SG1005D. I connected that WAN cable to the switch. Then I connected my laptop and my desktop to that switch with cables, simply trying to create a LAN network. I am not able to connect to the internet from my desktop through the switch. I can only do that from my laptop.

I bought the switch b/o I wanted a fast file transfer between two PCs. This TL-SDG1005D allows up to 1Gbps.
Also,I don't want to use any wireless connection (i.e. a wireless router), only cables.
I couldn't find any info on how to do it. Neither on your website, nor on the internet.

1. How do I assign a MAC number to the switch that would be the same as the MAC number on my laptop(Windows Vista), so my ISP can see it and allow the internet connection to that switch, so I can also connect from my desktop (Windows XP).

2. How do I configure the desktop(Windows XP) ?

2.I don't want to use one of my computers as "a server" so the other computer has a connection. Meaning that the WAN cable would connect to the laptop, from laptop another cable to the switch, and from the switch another cable to the desktop. I want to have an independent access to the internet from both PCs.

3. I don't need to be on the internet on both computers at the same time. That would require a router, I assume. I bought the switch b/o I wanted a fast file transfer between two PCs. This TL-SDG1005D allows up to 1Gbps.

4. I was told that routers are very slow in file transfer on LAN network. Also, shared internet connection always slows down the overall connection speed for both PCs.

5.Maybe it's not possible. Should I have bought a router instead ?

Thank you for your time and your answers.
If possible, I would welcome a step-by-step solution.

qrs123

You will need a router, and have that router spoof the MAC of your laptop in order to obtain an IP address, there is no other way unless you purchase multiple IP addresses from your ISP.

A router is no slower on the LAN side than another switch, if it advertises 100Mbps LAN, then it offers 100Mbps LAN, it will allow transfers to go as fast as your computer/network configuration can support, upto, 100Mbps.

A router actually uses a switch to duplicate the ports after the processor in it to permit multiple computers. So, if you are really wanting to network both computers, and still be able to access the internet, go out, and buy a router, for 1Gbps to work, both computers will need to support 1Gbps, otherwise, you are only going to be able to transfer at the max of w/e is the slowest part in your LAN.

C0rr0sive is right on the money....you will need a router....there is really no way around it....while I mean there is, but the easiest solution would be to purchase a router...now I was looking at routers that offered 1Gbps and they are pretty pricey....but since you already have a 1Gbps switch really you just need a cheap 100Mbps router that you can snag for like $20. You would leave all your computers plugged into the switch to keep the faster transfer speed and simply run the internet connection from the router to the switch. These transfer rates only impact your internal network and have nothing to do with external speeds (external=ISP). Are you positive that they assigned that IP address specifically to that mac address? I have not seen that before....now one IP address to a device yes this is normal. They gave you the manual IP Adddress to enter on your laptop or how did it get there or how did you know what to enter? They did this for you maybe? The scenario your are explaining is correct though...there is no way that you can throw a connection coming from a broadband modem into a switch and have more than one device work on the internet, your LAN is fine however. What happens when you power off modem, power off desktop, take WAN cable and plug directly into desktop, power on modem and let if finish its boot up cycle, and power on desktop...you have internet on the desktop?What IP address is it pulling? THis will tell us a lot.

A lot of ISPs will actually map an IP to a MAC now in days, so when using a router with some of then, you have to configure the router to spoof the MAC address of the computer that was originally plugged straight in.

Aghhh wasnt aware this is what ISP's were up to now days....is this to get as much money as they possibly can? That is so that the avg user cannot go down to wal-mart buy a router and split a single connection across multiple computers for free? or is there some other other reasoning behind it? Those greedy ISP punks! How do you go about spoofing a MAC address on a router? Now dont get me wrong I am certainly an advanced user and spoof ethernet mac addresses all the time breaking the WEP, WPA etc etc, but never had to spoof on a router. Would you have to be running a third party type firmware like tomato or something of the like or are newer routers allowing spoofing natively?

Right but how would one go about changing the mac address/spoof on a router to match the mac address of the device the IP address from the ISP was assigned to? I am just curious more than anything now. This is good stuff.

Almost all your modern routers will have an option somewhere in the configuration to permit you to clone a mac address, it's there for this reason, a lot of providers lock macs to IP addresses, just find out the laptops MAC, and find the option in your config on a router you purchase, and your router will appear to your ISP like your old laptop. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom