Netgear WGR614 and HP nx6110

Status
Not open for further replies.

real_in

In Runtime
Hi guyss how are you ??

well a problem i m facing is due to my n00bish behaviour and please help me sort it out and i am **** sure anyone using a simple device called Wireless router can very well sort it out.

As simple as that i need to run wifi at my friend's office thru Netgear's WGR614.

Here is the deal ::

They have a RADIO LINK fixed on the terrace, earlier they used to access thru wires with the ip as follows on their specific Computers ::

and so on ..

so there is switch thru which 4 computers are connected.

Now i wanna put a ROuter after that Switch so that i can also able to run wifi on the laptop which has inbuilt WiFi card. the

laptop make is HP and model no. is nx6110, its celeron.

So here is how i made the connections...

1) took a straight cable from switch to Routers Internet port.

only the power light was green and internet light was green but the wireless LED wasnt even blinking or glowing. so this gave me an alarm.

2) i tried to connect thru a straight over cable without internet cable from laptop's ethernet card to Wireless router's one LAN port (outta 4).

and i tried to put http://192.168.1.1 to access router but it jus did not ...

i came back home now i gave it a thought that i had the same IPs on the LAN card those with the range (10.20.12.161).. so I

guess i need to chnage the router's IP ..

can u guyss suggest me the proper way ?? cause here in india netgear doesnt have any phone line techinical support..

i guess i shall put ips in the following fashion..

Do i need to put DNS too ??

also i need to specify 10.20.12.161 ips somewhere to access that radio link as its intranet.. So shall i put it somewhere in router settings when i will be able to access it thru http://192.168.1.1 ??

Please help me..

thanks in advance ..

Here is the fashion of connections, those arrows represent cables and that too straight cable, do i need a cross over cable anywhere around ?? i doubt between Switch & router ??

netgearri7.jpg

donn know img tag is off so i m posting a little diagram here to make the situation clear

Attachments

• netgear.gif
    31.4 KB · Views: 69
Ok, just trying to better understand the setup of this network...

Is the radio on the terrace a link to another site, internet access, or wireless LAN access point?

Also, before you tried to connect to the netgear router, did you reset it back to the factory defaults?

Since the computers are connected via the switch, are the IP addresses static, or is there a DHCP server?

Also, last thing.... the Netgear default IP adress (per their webpage) is 192.168.0.1

EDIT: ALSO, forgot to mention, when you connect the laptop to the router, set it so that it obtains an IP address automatically. After it connects, open a command window, perform the command ipconfig /all and verify the default gateway.... This will be the address you need to put in the browers's address bar to access the router. /EDIT

The radio link is basically for their intranet services. Like it is a cellular company, and the radio link is to connect to their own websites. I mean its intranet, no webaccess thru that link, jus their own sites can be opened.

Second, ofcourse all the computers which are running on the n/w have been assigned static IPs and they donn work on DHCP when i tried to that, may be for security sake the cellular company, gives a range of IPs to particular outlet.

I reset the router by pressing the factory reset button for 5 secs then pressing it three times, i mean it got reset cause i saw it gettin restarted when only the power pin was plugged in and no other cable.

Also the first thing is when i put a straight pair wire coming from switch in to that wireless router only the internet LED(that is "i") glows now the other one which represents signal glows.

Also suggest me after trying DHCP, if it doesnt work then what IP shall i assign and to which adapter.

1394 or local area or local area WLAN

and shall i disable all other ??

thanks a lot for replying mate ..

Ok, I gotcha now...

The radio link on the terrace is a link to another site for the company's intranet, and all of the computers have static IP's....

(sorry for re-iterating that, just had to straighten it out in my head, lol, I am tired...)

Anyways, with the wireless router, you are going to want to connect physically to configure it, so get the straight-through cable, connect it to the laptop. If you don't get an IP address with DHCP enabled on the laptop, then assign the following to the Local Area Adaptor

IP Address: 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

If that still doesn't work, open a command prompt, and use the IPCONFIG /ALL command to find out what IP address the laptop gets, and what the default gateway shows. Then enter the default gateway address into the browser's address bar, and you should be at the router's config page.

And what after i m router config's page, i want that lappy to get the access to intranet without physical contact, so shall i put in the static ips in to router config's page ??

and if yes, then only one lappy can use that router at a time, cause it has one static ip..

i m sorry i m new to this wifi thing, jus a lil help and i m thru :)

That's ok, no need to appologise. Networking isn't a simple thing to pick up and understand.... I myself only know the tip of the iceberg, as the networking work is VAST....

Anyways, yes, you will have to specify an IP address for the router, and be sure to turn the DHCP function OFF, otherwise, it will try to hand out addresses to the wireless clients. You can have more than one wireless client connected to the router, you just have to make sure they EACH have their own unique IP address. So, if you will be using 1 wireless host, you will have to have 2 available static IP addresses, 1 for the router, 1 for the host, and 1 for any additional wireless host that you would want to connect.

Ok, I just re-read your first post, and found that the address you gave before. This block has 14 available addresses. 10.20.12.161 - 10.20.12.174... The way I saw it (unless I overlooked something), you have the following which will require an IP address:

1 IP for radio link
1 IP for switch management interface (if it is a managed switch)
1 IP for router
4 IP's for wired hosts
1 IP for wireless host

SO, even WITH the laptop and the router, you would be using 8 addresses, and have 6 more available, unless there is another site that has to share addresses from the same block with you.

Just make sure that there aren't 2 hosts using the same IP address or you will encounter issues.

thanks a lot mate . really thanks a lot, now i m going to my friend's office to fix things up..

what i will do is ..

to the local area network ethernet i will assign the following address ::

and after i get into router, i will assign ip address to the router in the range

10.20.12.something

and in laptop i will assign the same range 10.20.12.something_unique to the broadcam/WLAN adapter in network connections..

will read ur post when i reach there.. thanks a lot

First word is "its done"

hehehe.. :p

really really thanks a lot mate..

so here is the procedure the way i did it ::

I removed all IPs from the adapters, including WLAN,LAN everything..

then i connected a straight thru wire to the router and logged into it thru IE by typing 192.168.1.1

The username and password were given at the back of the router.

so did all manual settings, activated wireless thru settings and gave the static ip the router, the ips which they use to give to their computers

dns ::

Now the problem was, it wasnt taking 10.20.0.0 as primary dns, it gave me error, so by hit and trial i put DNS as

bah it worked..

so after that, i tried to assign the same and different ips to WLAN, it din work, messed a lot, but it din work..

so again i made that WLAN DHCP, but it din even work, so atlast i again put a hit & trial method, i gave ip as ::

to WLAN and to my surprise i can login to router wirelessly and can also access the wifi..

now it was all HIT & TRIAL thingy.. can u explain me how did this all work .. now if i want to add one more client to the same network what i gotta do ?? i mean do i need to assign

192.168.1.something_different

or something else.

please reply

and very very thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom