Votes: 0 0.0%
  • get out of my way b!t(hes, i can do 200+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jchord

Beta member
hi my first post here I need a hand I have xp pro all my computers i connect to do too but i have a problem with sending files through my home network. I can have them copied off of my shared documents but i cannot send directly too my other computers shared documents.

At first my computer couldn't see the others on the network now they appear after changing the computers to Workgroup instead of ms home

I get a
"access denied .
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
and that the file is not currently in use"
why does this always @#@&%@ happen

I have a linksys router to let you know if i haven't left enough info....
i have dsl, dell computers that may not help you guys to figure out the problem though
:D :D

Re:

Hello,

First, make sure that all your computers are set to be in the same workgroup.

Next, make sure that you have done the Network Setup Wizard and selected the appropriate network topology / method, in both Network Connections and My Network Places. This needs to be done on all machines. After that, simply restart all machines, and assign folders to be shared over the network.

The shared folders in the workgroup should appear in the My Network Places folder. If they don't appear, when all machines are on and networked, then try pressing F5 in the folder to refresh. If they still don't appear, either click Add Network Place and then manually type or browse the specific computer or folder when prompted.

You could also go into Entire Network in My Network Places to view your workgroup.

you need to right click on the shared documents folder and go to sharing and security and set the permissions so that people have write permisson.

This is a very bad idea as it makes it very easy for viruses, hackers etc... to get into your computer.

If you are running XP pro and want to share files in this way you should turn off simple filesharing and set up user accounts so that only authenticated users can access your files - this will give you a bit more security. It would take a whole tutorial to explain how set it all up nicely.

If you are using XP home then you are far more restricted, in that your only option is to use simple filesharing and i am not sure whether you can give people write permissions

Edit:
oops, that wasn't really what you were after. - i'll leave it incase it is of any help, but you will need to look at permissions if the previous post does not solve your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom