Need a new router, any recommended ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Basically this thing is ancient and..

1) My xbox 360 says it isn't an xbox live compatible router, it still works but when searching for a game it re-sets sometimes, maybe a compatible one would help, not sure.

2) We need one which works with a nintendo DS, so I assume something wireless is needed.

If anyone knows of any good models that would be great.

EDIT: Found this, I believe it is compatible...anyone had experience with this brand? Most reviews are positive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WGR614UK-Wireless-Cable-Router/dp/B0000C1WO2/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_0

You dont want one compatible with the DS. The DS only uses WEP encryption which is the lowest level and might as well not be there. It can be cracked in under a minute. Just about any router made in the past 3 years is compatible with the XBOX 360 now. Mine doesnt specifically state that it is XBOX 360 compatible but it works just fine.

So really if you MUST have DS capabilities, get any Wireless one and leave it unsecured. As you cant put on WPA or WPA2 as the DS wont connect at that point. Even the new DSi do not have those technologies.

You dont want one compatible with the DS. The DS only uses WEP encryption which is the lowest level and might as well not be there. It can be cracked in under a minute. Just about any router made in the past 3 years is compatible with the XBOX 360 now. Mine doesnt specifically state that it is XBOX 360 compatible but it works just fine.

So really if you MUST have DS capabilities, get any Wireless one and leave it unsecured. As you cant put on WPA or WPA2 as the DS wont connect at that point. Even the new DSi do not have those technologies.

ah right then, **** the DS it's not mine anywayy...to put it bluntly.

I also noticed my original link doesn't talk about WPA protection only WEP.

This one mentions WPA-PSK? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG834G-54Mbps-Wireless-Firewall/dp/B0000TZ8Z8/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

would it be the better choice?

WPA2 would be the best choice.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/hardware-shopping-megathread-212899/

There are some sites there you can check as well. But D-Link has a good router. Some people go with Linksys, others Belkin. But you really want WPA2 protection. It is the best there is right now and the hardest to crack.

Right found this(I'll see if it's cheaper elsewhere first obviously.)

D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N 300Mbps wireless Cable Router: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

It says it has 4 ports so that's all good.

Also says: Support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 standards

Does that mean it actually has it or is this WPA something you buy?

It has it built in. You jsut use the Routers Web Interface to activate which protocol you want to use. I have a DIR-628 and it is a good Router.

It has it built in. You jsut use the Routers Web Interface to activate which protocol you want to use. I have a DIR-628 and it is a good Router.

right ok. Well it apparently has a set-up CD for idiots where it goes through most things including security.

So we'll see, but I'll purchase this one then.

I just purchased a Linksys Wireless-N router yesterday. I got it set up in 10 minutes and it works beautifully. The router's interface is straight-forward and easy to learn for self taught users. Plus, it's super fast! There is virtually no difference from being plugged in directly to my modem and using the wireless. Only drawback is that it costs about $80.00. But it's a good investment if you don't want to have to upgrade any time soon.
Hope this helps!

-Louie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom