Need a good wireless router. NEED HELP PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This says it is my first post but actually I just cant remember the password to my old account.

Anyways, my old D-Link DI-624 wireless router just went down so I am in need of a new wireless router. Now I am looking for something that will maintain my internet connection speed and split it to all the computers in my house. I currently have a 6 mbps internet connection so I would like that speed to run to all the computers in my house unless someone is downloading of course.

Now what are some things I should be looking at when looking at some wireless routers? I've noticed some of them say wireless G or whatever, but what does all that mean? I believe my D-Link was 56 mbps, so higher better because I've seen some routers that are 108 mbps. Do you guys have any suggestions to what I should get and which wireless routers have had good reviews, good connection, and ease of use?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

First off send a PM to Trotter or DMo224 and have them reset your password. You also could have had a email sent if i am not mistaken. Do this to get access to your old account before both accounts get banned and you are gone from the site. Multiple Accounts is frowned upon. Both will be banned and you will not be allowed access to the site again.

G is the newest technology. Draft N routers are not worth it as it is still a Draft and not final so those routers might not work when it does get finalized.

Get a Super G router. Those will be the ones that can do the 108mbps speed you are talking about. I know that LinkSys has a few like that.

Good luck!

Check out the Linksys routers. I have had 2 of them and never had a problem. I currently run the WRT54G with 4 pc's, a network printer, IP camera, and a laptop.

Currently running a netgear DG834GT with custom firmware and it's great. Highest sync speed of my 3 routers and lots of tweaks and features.

Ok so what is the difference between wireless G and super G and N and all that? Also most of the routers I've seen are 54 mbps, so does that mean a 108mbps router will be double the speed? I don't understand why someone with a 6 mbps internet connection (600kbps donwloads) would need anything higher than lets say a 10 mbps router. Please explain.

Also another thing I am worried about is dropped connections. My D-Link DI-624 would have a drop in the connection quite frequently and it would really **** me off so I really want something with a reliable connection. From my knowledge, D-Link and Linksys are two of the top router companties (correct me of im wrong) so how would you compare them both? I understand that they are just two different companies, but there has to be different features with the two.

I've been looking at Linksys and they keep bringing up 802.11b and 802.11g. What is the difference between the two? Also many different routers have 10/100/1000 and they are talking about linking all the computers together. Can you guys please clarify what they mean by that? From my understanding, you can link all the computers together regardless right?

EDIT: I am going to be running one computer wired to the router, another wireless desktop in the other room, and a wireless laptop. From time to time there will be more computers.

Thank you

G is faster than B, and N is faster than G.

Linksys = Cisco. Cisco bought them out a while back. I own one, and it is great.

The linked/wired connection between computers will be limited by the connection limits of the computer. 10/100/1000 means the router is capable of any of those speeds, but not all motherboards are capable of them.

What is your old account name? We don't do the multiple account thing here. Please comply or you will be without either account.

G is faster than B, and N is faster than G.

Linksys = Cisco. Cisco bought them out a while back. I own one, and it is great.

The linked/wired connection between computers will be limited by the connection limits of the computer. 10/100/1000 means the router is capable of any of those speeds, but not all motherboards are capable of them.

What is your old account name? We don't do the multiple account thing here. Please comply or you will be without either account.

Delete this account. i tried entering the SAME password as i did last night for my old account and it worked today.

What do you guys all have to say about the wireless N router? A post from above tells me that they might not even have wireless N routers so in the future it isnt even 100% that it will even work. Is this true? What are the pros and cons of a wireless N router?

I would reccomend the NETGEAR range, WGT, never had any problems ;)

Right now im looking at the Linksys WRVS4400N and the D-Link DIR-655. What do you guys think? I am still a little confused on what I should be looking for in a wireless router but those two look good from what i know. Again, so what do you guys think about wireless N?

By the way, I will be connecting one computer wired to the router, one wireless desktop, one wireless laptop, and ocasionally another wired or wireless computer. Also I will be streaming movies I have downloaded to a laptop so I can connect it to mu lcd tv in the other room so i can have a bigger picture. When i tried this with my d link router, it would be very choppy and just freeze up eventually so i would need a router that can handle this. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom