Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

1147mudkip

Beta member
I would like to make my internet connection faster for my XBOX 360, yet I have some problems. Right now I have a Netgear wired router connected to the modem. From the Netgear router, wires go throughout the house for the Ethernet outlets (or whatever they're called), which have 2 computers and the XBOX connected. This prevents me from moving the modem to another location because I cannot rewire everything. Plugged into the CAT5 Ethernet outlet is a Linksys WRT160N wireless router for laptops. I would like to speed up the connection by getting a new wireless router (so my laptop and the XBOX are faster). Because of NAT problems, the xbox needs to be connected to whatever router is connected to the modem. It currently cannot connect to my wireless router because it is connected to the wired router (or it will disconnect every 10 minutes). What I would like to do is have a new wireless router connected directly to the modem. Here are my four options:

1. Get a new wireless router, connect it to the modem, and ditch the wired router. Use the ethernet ports on the new router to connect to the box which is wired through the house for the 2 non-wireless computers.

Cons: Because this would need to plug into the box and go to the ethernet outlets in the house, it would need to be located in the basement. I tested this with my current router (Linksys WRT160N) and it could not reach the entire house. Only the basement and first floor got connection, not upstairs. Would a newer router (such as Linksys E3000) have a greater range?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Ditch the wired router and the wired connections. Move the modem to a place at which the new wireless router could reach the entire house easily (the kitchen has the thing to plug the modem into).

Cons: I would need wireless USB adapters to connect the non-wireless computers to the wireless router.

3. Get a second modem along with the new router, and place them where the router can reach the entire house.

Cons: Would getting another modem work when I already have one connected?

4. Just replace the wired router.

Cons: My laptops would not get any faster.

I apologize if this is extremely confusing, as I don't thing I worded this well. If you don't understand, just ask. Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it if you read to this point.

I think instead of replacing ANYTHING you should set what you already have properly. The WRT160N is the router I use here at home. However I do not use it as a router, only an access point. I see no reason for you to get new hardware other than possibly a range extender or something similar if the signal isnt strong enough in some parts of the hours.

I'm guessing by your "NAT problems" anything connecting to the WRT160N is being double NAT'd.

Dont use the "Internet" or "WAN" port on the WRT160N. Move whatever wire is in that port to one of the other ports. Go into the WebGUI and turn off DHCP. Now all the WRT160N is doing is acting like a switch, and anything that connects to it via WiFi will be just like connecting to your netgear router. This can also solve your range problem. Place the WRT160N away from the netgear router for maximum coverage. You will end up with two SSID's for two WiFi devices but they will goto the same place.

i would just get a nice wireless n router, that should cover your whole house unless you get alot of interferance. If the router and modem right next to the furnace or anything like that you might want to relocate the router. another option is to keep the wired router you have and just get a wireless router or ap and hook it up on the first level with an exsisting ethernet jack you already have, most wireless routers will have a few ethernet ports you could use so you wouldnt loose the ehternet jack that you use.

***ALL this wont nessicarly speed up your internet connection. It may improve your LAN connections but to speed up your internet for xbox you would want to upgrade your internet package you use. QoS would help if you have alot of devices using the internet at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom