I'm So Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekimirwin

Solid State Member
Ok I bought a belkin router, and it says that my sisters compaq notebook has a wireless card built into it, well why can't it sense the router? Do I have too set up a home network, which I don't know how to do? Or can I just buy a Belkin wireless pc card and will it sense and automatically connect with the router and save me the frustration?

Any wireless card should be able to connect to a WAP. I have a D-Link card on a Linksys WAP. If you go to <My Network Places> there will be an icon to setup a new connection. You may want to setup the network between the computers first or wait until later. I would go to Belkins' site and get the latest drivers. That should solve the problem. Post back if it does not.

One thing that you may want to check is that they are using the same standard. There's three that are real widely used, 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g. 802.11b and 802.11g will work together, but 802.11a will not work with the other two.

So long as the equipment is the same standard, or two standards that work together, the manufacturer doesn't matter. At my home, I have an Orinoco wireless card for my laptop, and a Linksys wireless router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom