Help PLZ in computer Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENG:ro3a

Solid State Member
Hi everybody

Iam still a new member here & I need your help ASAP

Can you think of internet in which we dont use the IP But using MAC instead ?
what are the main changes we have to do ?

You need an IP address in order for a router to communicate with a device. If you are wanting to 'filter' the Internet so that certain MAC addresses can only use the Internet then configure/purchase a router that has that capability. Most residential routers now adays have that feature within the routers capabilities already.

Why are you wanting to use MAC addresses instead of IP's? I ask because maybe we can find another solution to your problem if we know what the objective is.

The question is: can we use MAC address instead of IP address in the future for routing messages between different segments?
I.e: one of the issues nowadays related to mobility is that ip addresses are dynamic, so if someone is on the plane or on the car for example (moving object) and he is connected to the network with a certain IP address, then he should be disconnected from the network each time the ip address changes, which is a problem, so can we:
1- use the MAC address ( which is fixed) instead of the dynamic IP Address? And in that case we will never use the IP address again?
2- in case we can use the MAC and not the IP, do we have to use the DNS? Or should we use another technique?

So you have remote users that connect via the internet? Have you considered using vnp? I do not know of a way to allow specific MAC addresses to access systems in this way. Not to mention that one can always mask a MAC address.

Respected hefemeister ;

This question is an exam question and our instructor gave it as a bonus question .

It is not really an existing case but we are looking foreward to accomplish this soon !

Did u get my point ?

Honestly we could, or there could be something that could be developed to do this. But in my opinion a network admin won't setup a network this way, at least I wouldn't. There are reasons why we have static IP's, the ability to create a network of IP's that we designate, and that IP changes from place to place, security is one huge reason.

I guess I don't understand the question in that why would you want to setup a network like this. I mean the question it says IP's are a problem, but to whom? Not the network admin, not the user, the only problem is for someone who is trying to hack the network and would love to know the IP's used within that network. Say you worked at AT&T and you had a network in the midwest of say 50,000 computers and devices. Lets pretend that network was comprimised and you need to create a new IP network. Right now that is as simple as a few button clicks, but in a MAC address only world you would have to go through and change out 50,000 NIC.

Maybe i'm not getting it but I just don't see the benefit of only using MAC addresses as a network identifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom