Help with a new home setup

preezie

Beta member
Disclaimer: Firstly, I want to say that I am pretty technology illiterate (if thats a term). I read through a few post kind of like the one I am making and couldn't seem to fix my problem. Sorry in advance if any assumptions I make are incorrect or if any questions I ask seem like the should be common knowledge. Hopefully you'll at least get a good laugh out of this.

Okay. SO I just moved into a new house and am trying to figure out how the network is setup. I opened the cable box underneath the stairs and I was greeted by like 60 unplugged coaxial and ethernet cables all in a jumbled mess and a box labeled "MDC8T8RJ" (image 1) and the back of the box (image 2)

Now I have these ethernet ports all over my house (image 3) that I am hoping I can use.

I have a modem from xfinity and i plugged it into the main coaxial cable (it just seemed like a bigger coaxial cable than the other ones) and set up my internet. my computer is on the 2nd floor and I would like it to be hardwired into the modem as opposed to using wifi. There is an ethernet outlet right next to where my computer is (image 3) and I was hoping to use that to connect to my computer. However I don't know how to get that working. Do I plug an ethernet cable into the back of my modem then into the back of the MDC8T8RJ box and then try to find which of the yellow ethernet cords is attached to my specific outlet? Is that possible?

Anyways, I hope someone isn't rolling over and laughing too hard to help me out. I appreciate it.
Happy Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_20170821_142949.jpg
    IMG_20170821_142949.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170821_143003.jpg
    IMG_20170821_143003.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170821_143049.jpg
    IMG_20170821_143049.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 3
That, is an interesting box to say the least. It's a massive coax to ethernet splitter. All you gotta do is exactly what you thought, plug your PC into the wall and figure out which yellow ethernet cable goes to that wall port. If it's wired correctly to T568B on both ends it should work. I'd also label it and do it for the rest of the house. Should be able to hard wire more things.

That, is an interesting box to say the least. It's a massive coax to ethernet splitter. All you gotta do is exactly what you thought, plug your PC into the wall and figure out which yellow ethernet cable goes to that wall port. If it's wired correctly to T568B on both ends it should work. I'd also label it and do it for the rest of the house. Should be able to hard wire more things.
Awesome. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom