Hacker alert wooo wooo wooo

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspec

Baseband Member
Hi
I'm using a netgear router and for some unknown reason I decided to log on and click on attached devices. To my surprise someone was and is on my network a hacker. I use the word hacker because I am using wep, I known not the best encryption but it means this person has not just logged on to an open network but hacked me. Because i thought my network was secure all of my storage is open so I'm not happy.

My router is given them ip 192.0.0.3 so I entered http://192.0.0.3 to see if they had setup any shared folders but it came back page can not be displayed also tried http://192.0.0.3/c$ as I hear that may give you some sort of admin and may give his name away but nothing.

I want to track him down and I have his mac address. so I thought if I wonder around the row of houses behind me (these are the only house in range of my signal) with my laptop I could maybe get his signal and follow it back to his house. But no luck the site monitoring software is only getting the routers in the area. No doubt because there the only ones broadcasting a hello signal.

So the big question is all wireless dongles /Ariel's are always putting out some sort of signal which must include his mac address how can I pickup this signal?????????

P.S no need to worry I don't own a baseball bat oh yu I will tick the box for mac filter but after I know who he is. I don't want to scare him off just yet.

Thanks

First of all, make sure that you're not being mistaken... If you're using an extra router as an access point, that too will be given an IP.

However, even with his MAC address, the chances of finding the bugger is slim to none. Unless you find some way of monitoring his usage, which I'm not sure is possible, the guy remains anonymous.

I was under the impression that only a Linux or OSX user could hack a WPA or WEP network, since there are very limited programs for this, and they are almost exclusive to the Unix platform. However, maybe there are other loopholes now that I'm not aware of...

In either case, find a better way of securing your network!

Hello,

There is a apps for Windows and Linux for this. It cracks WEP in like a minute.

Go into the Router properties and kick that router off the network. There is a way to do it on most routers to prevent a PC from connecting and using the network.

Cheers,
Mak

thanks guys i think i will turn on mac address filter that should shake him off. but if anyone does come up with an idea to track him please post.

thanks again guys

You could start logging all the times he comes on, see if he comes on at a specific time regularly, then run around with a chainsaw looking...
:)

Hellooo
I've got some good news some good news and some I've been an idiot news.

So I've been a busy boy I found some software that would help me in my quest to catch the thieving bas**** who's in my system. It's called commview for wifi, nice little bit of kit it puts your wifi in to passive mode (or something like that) so your able to pick up any signal, be it a router desktop laptop anything with wifi.

To start with I checked everything that had wifi so I could tick them off my list of suspects. All the desktops logged them on checked what one had what mac address and all the laptops. Even got all the mobile phone in the house checked if they had wifi got there mac address.

Then I went though the whole property scanning and noting signal strength. It was then as the wifi map started to point me towards the front room. So off I went with my trusty baseball bat just encase the guy was hiding under the couch. I was close he was hiding under the TV. It was the bloody wii I had forgot that had wifi.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa what an arse but the good news nobody is in my system.

Now be kind when you reply and WorldIndustries yes you told me so LOL

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom