Gigabyte GN-WP01GS Wireless PC Adapter not recognized by computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlambeauleapx

Solid State Member
Back in August, this forum helped me install a Zonet zew1602 wireless PCI adapter that was given to me. http://www.techist.com/forums/f44/s...en-2-computers-same-house-214048/#post1699058

I recently had to reformat my computer's operating system. I believe it was because of the wireless card because after installing it...if I left the CPU on for 18 hours, I would get a BSOD. Also, my computer would restart every third time I repowered it. Then, it started doing it every single time (right when it would normally log into the network) so I had to reformat.

I purchased a gigabyte wp01gs adapter because I heard many good reviews with it. So far, my computer doesn't even recognize it. I have tried two different PCI slots and have installed the software for it. It doesn't notice that its installed on my computer, however. I have never had a computer not recognize hardware after I installed it and I am unaware of how to get around this problem? Anyone have this specific card, specifically on XP? Could it just not work with my motherboard?

I did try to just install the ZEW1602 again and it recognizes it. It just won't connect to the Linksys router that is right downstairs below me (and I'd prefer not to use that one unless I
must...)

I am on Windows XP.

Alright, now I got it to recognize the card :)

However, this card is currently doing the same thing that the zonet was after I reformatted...

From what I can tell, I am getting great signal. On Windows network configuration, it states there is a 5-bar signal. The signal numbers I've seen on the CD software are 80 and 90 percent.

However, when I try to connect, it will give me an "acquiring network address" for about 5-10 seconds before failing to connect. I've tried ipconfig /renew but it has made no impact.

Could it be some miscellaneous setting in the computer? I even went from a 2dbi antenna to a 5dbi antenna and its still not acquiring the network address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom