Ethernet Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB_13

Baseband Member
Recently I had to format my hard drive some things weren't working properly. The problem now is that I can't get my ethernet card to install. The computer runs windows 98 it's a little old but I had the card installed before. I can't remember how I got it to work. I tried to install using the hardware wizard. Then I tried adding it through the netwok. Doing it that way installs all the files from the windows 98 cd. After reboot all of the network disappears even before reboot as soon as it's done adding files from win98 cd I click don't restart then click the network. Everything I put in there gone. I have added client of microsoft and the card. Also added microsoft family logon and the card. I even tried adding microsoft virtual private network and that was the only thing that stuck everything else gone. If anyone knows how to get this working it would be greatly appreciated. Please try to be as specific as possible. I'm not too familiar with networks. Thanx for any help.

should have the driver on your motherboard disk or disks that came with your system. what type of motherboard or type of computer and model (ie dell inspiron 2100)?

It's an acer aspire. It originally shipped with windows 95 and a petium II processor 300 mhz mmx. It did not originally come with an ethernet card. I had purchased one. Bought a couple years ago it was a belkin fd5000 I believe.

I have tried all that for some reason it doesn't work. Any suggestions you can give thanx.

got to figure out exactly which card you have. usually there is info on the card itself. look for serials or any info you can on the card. Once you figure out what you have getting the driver is easy.

I have the driver. Driver is not the problem. The problem is that windows keeps removing the card from the network. It's on the device manager as installed but is disabled after each startup I can click enable and then restart. That still doesn't work to get the thing loaded into the network. The problem is not the card cause it will connect to the modem. The problem is getting the computer to communicate with the card. Anything that could help.

After a new restart I have found that windows disables it. Driver details are not available however the card is installed. If I update the driver it works but then properties screen says things like this device is not disabled windows doesn't know why. after restart I can enable device again. I don't know what's wrong with this thing.

well I did somethin I installed an existing ndis2 adapter then updated that driver to run my card problem now is after I log onto the network I get a blue screen of death sometimes windows will load if it does it can do about a half a task then it does nothing. Any help at this point?

ouch. I was going to reccomend boworring a card from a buddy with known drivers. Looks like a reinstall but if you can borrow a different card that may help. Maybee pull the one from the comp you are using now. check device manager and get the drivers first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom