Dialup Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie_colt

Beta member
I just got a new dell with XP, then I have an ME and then a 98. I was wondering if I could home network all 3 computers to use my Dial-up connection off the new dell "Host I'd guess you'd call it" since it has the built in sharing software and everyone says it's the easiest to network with.

If networking is possible could you use wireless network cards to hook them all up?

If thats not possible, what is, and what equipment would I need to buy to have a way to make them share the Dial-up connection?

I appericate any help you can give me, Thanks :D

if you run the network setup wizard on the xp machine - select the option that says something like

"this computer connects directly to the internet, the other computers connect through this one"

then when the wizard has finished it will prompt you to insert a floppy to create a network setup disk. Run this disk on each of the other 2 computers and they will be set up to connect through the xp computer. As far as the question about wireless - I'm not an expert, but i would imagine that if you set up a wireless lan it would happily share the internet the same as if you had an ethernet switch and cables between the 3 pc's.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dial Up Network

I'm assuming that you are referring to a 56K modem for a dial up
connection instead of DSL. If this is the case the previous post is correct also you will require a hub to connect the three computers and cables for the fastest throughput. Wireless will be slower and costly for this configuration.

The major problem with this will be performance. Only one person will be able to be on and obtain satisfactory perfomance. The performance will degrade very fast when a second computer is on the internet.

I had this solution using DSL lite whish was approximately three time faster then the 56k modem and it drove me nuts. When the kids were on and when I wanted it, every one was yelling at each other over the turtle like speed, try dowloading a 4 meg file in this method and waiting 10- 15 minutes or longer or even loosing the connection due to time outs.

The best way will be to use high speed DSL or Cable and then a router. The headaches disappeared very fast.

Most people who are still on dial-up are on it because they can't get cable or DSL where they live. I dont know if that is the case with Newbie_colt, but if you can get it, then that would be the best way to go. If not, I wouldn't suggest networking using dial-up. I tried this once, and my ISP, which is NetZero (don't get it if you have another choice), emailed me and told me they would cut my service if I used it networked again, because networked, it gets around the adbanner. NZ doens't like that at all.

Thanks for your help.. dsl isnt my way exactly yet, it's about 15 miles out as I live very rural, so im just waiting for a while and doing this as a temp setup. Thanks again for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom