Data Cable?

Snow713

Beta member
I just rearranged my living room and ended up moving my router/modem from one end of the room to the other. I have ATT Uverse and came across a wire labeled "Data Cable" looks just like a phone chord to me (the connection part anyway) So i was forced to go to the store and I ended up getting just a Phone Chord. It has my internet up and running however I worry that will need more of a Cat5 Cable. Is this true? I experienced some lag/ connection interruption once my gf starting watching netflix and I was video gaming from the PS4. THis could of just been coincidence, i really didnt have much of a problem before. Is this something to worry about or should I be fine.

I'm taking it you have DSL if so that is actually just a phone cord, Cat5 and the like shouldn't fit.

I'm taking it you have DSL if so that is actually just a phone cord, Cat5 and the like shouldn't fit.

Cat 5 could still work; you just wouldn't use some of the twisted pairs. The RJ45 connector (ethernet), however, wouldn't fit.

Looks like this?

attachment.php

Uverse is not your regular DSL persay. It requires its own phone jack to the local node. The cable is actually a 6 pin. Unless you have cable going in to the modem/router that cable goes to the wall jack. This version doesn't use a filter nor is it a slave to your phone line.

EDIT: That's an older version of the Uverse modem. It does use only 2 wires hence it's identified as 2wirexxx. I have the new version that uses all 6 wires and is really fast.
Both versions do require their own jack and line to the local node. That hasn't changed with the old and new versions.

Last edited:
What is your Uverse service speed? If you know the Mbps down speed that you're getting from them then you can answer if you need a Cat5 cable or not that way, without having to look at the physical cable. Cat5 is for 100Mbs/down (source: DynaCable | Networking FAQs). If you have 20Mbps down or 50Mbps down in your service speed you're paying for then I think you don't need to worry about it.

that is all it is- a phone cord-

are you hardwired to the ps4 or the gf's device?

what speed are you paying for? have you run any speed tests?

Back
Top Bottom