Crossover Prob (noob) Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStal95

Beta member
I want to connect my old comp to my new comp so I can transfer files over. On my old comp I set up a new connection with the new connection wizard. I went to set up advanced connection, then went to connect directly to another computer, then set it as the host computer. Then on my new comp I went to the new connection wizard, setup advanced connection...but then on the next screen the option to connect directly to another computer is gray and it will not let me click on it. ?? Any suggestions? I dont even know if I'm doing this crossover thing right.

CAT 5e Crossover Cable
Old Comp: Celeron w/ XP Home
New Comp: AMD w/ XP Pro

Thanks for the help
Andy

Connecting directly to another computer and creating a network is entirely different. The option to "Connect directly to another computer" is referring to a serial connection via COM port to COM port. You'll have to setup a new network connection using a crossover CAT5 cable as you were saying. Once you connect the two PCs, you should have a link light and then you should be able to see the other computer in Network Neighboorhood or My Network Places. If you can't see the other computer right away, then try to type in the following in the Internet Explorer address bar:
"\\COMPUTERNAME\SHARENAME" Where the COMPUTERNAME is the other computer name (the one that you are connecting to) and the Folder share name in the SHARENAME space.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom