Changing Office Network Setup Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bludtdh

Beta member
Ok, I just started working for a new company with an office containing
about 25 devices (a server, computers and printers). The company has
had problems within the network lan (not being able to print and share files)
due to bad network setup. I'm going to fix the problem but I need advice b/c
their are so many devices and settings that I don't wan't to forget anything
that'll prevent everything from working properly. I have knowledge and experience
in installing, configuring and maintaining lans.

------------------------------
Here is the hardware/software:

-The ISP is Time Warner
- Cable modem (basic)
- Linksys 4-port router (model BEF...) (blue/black)
- 24-port switch (SuperTrack 3)
- server with Windows Server 2000 installed and running
- multiple computers running windows xp
- two network printers (Canon and Lanier 2138)

Here is the hardware setup:

Cable Modem ----> Linksys (via it's WAN port) ----> 24-port switch (via it's first port)

The server (mentioned above) ----> switch (via the 2nd port)

all other computers and printers are connected to the rest of the available ports on the switch

-The linksys has a ip address of 192.168.1.1
- I plan on disabling the dhcp and dns within the router (so that the server will take that over)
- plan to assign the server and the two printers static ips of 192.168.1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 manually
- within windows server 2k I plan to configure the server through the dhcp program/wizard
- I will set the dhcp scope to something like 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199 (for computers
receiving dynamic ips)

-------------------------------

I have several questions though b/c I want to make sure that everything runs w/out problems.

I've read that the server should be the dhcp server (assign dynamic ip addresses) and dns server
and I've read the the dns servers should be ip addresses from the internet service provider (I have
them).

What dns address(es) should I give the server? (does it have one if IT IS the dns server to
the other computers?)

If I give it the ISP dns server ip addresses then the actual office server won't be the dns
server anymore would it?

*Does my hardware setup go with my intended configurations correctly?*

Also, once everything has been reconfigured how would I make sure that the server sees the computers/
printers and vice versa so that file and print sharing works perfectly.

Thanks in Advance
:)

You can set the servers DNS servers to the servers IP and the alternate to the Gateway or something like that assuming you correctly configured DNS service. As far as everything else it looks ok. You might want to consider using active directory, if you going to set up DNS might as well with this many users will make your job a lot easier. To check to see if the server can see the computer you can just ping the computers and vise versa. To check if the printers are working just add the printer to the machine and try to print a test page. If it works then your ok.

I would also change the dhcp scope, 192.168.1.1 is very common.

make it 192.168.20.1 or summin like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom