Cat 6 cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Hey everyone. I have a question about cables again. Looking at newegg, there's a network cable i want to get. It's a 25ft cat6 cable that says it can be used as a cat 5/e and a cat5. So my question is... will this cat 6 cable work for me? I want to get 3 or 4 of them. What is a cat 6 cable? Is it just faster or something?

My situation, if you don't recall, is that i'm hooking up 3 computers to a router (the 8 port SMC barricade model 7008ABR) and having my router hooked up into the cable modem. I need to be able to transfer files between computers and to also share the cable connection.

Also, won't i need to purchase another cable to hook the router up to the cable modem? What cable do i get for this? Another cat 6 like the others? Or do i need a certain other kind of cable??

Please check out the listing on newegg to see what cable i'm inquiring about. Thanks guys!

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-118-034&depa=0

I'm pretty sure that cat 6 is just faster, but very similar to cat5. Between the router and modem i think it would be a cat5 cable (or cat6).

Cat6 cabling is used for a 1Gbps network connection. It will still work with a 100 mbps connection.

Regarding the cable needed to connect the cable modem to your router, you could use any networking cable as long as you connect it to your "uplink" port on the router. Usually its the first or the last port on the router. (Ex. If the router has 24 ports, port 24 will be the crossover port.. and next to it there should be an uplink button you should push)

Thanks guys. I'm going to order some of those cat6 cables. I purchased the router today (an SMC Barricade 8 port). I had to drive 30 miles to get it and when i got there it was the last one in stock!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom