AOL instant messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just discovered something else, not only is aol not working properly, but as I download programs, they all get to around 50% or better and then just stop before they finish.

i think i understand what's going on. just like mike says it has nothing to do with firewall on the router. i beleive this problem is because skomer84 has set up his networking hardware incorrectly.

skomer84 can you draw us a simple diagram of your network setup and attach the image to your post? this forum allows attachments up to about 50K.

i think your problem is that possibley you have your win98 plugged straight to modem and from win98 network card to the router's uplink WAN port so the other 2 winXP machines are going through the win98 machine. or it is some other hardware configuration fault. use mspaint and save as GIF or jpeg

Okay here is the diagram the best I could draw it. Supposivly the guy that hooked it up was an "expert" but I have my doubts. So hopefully you can figure out what is wrong here if anything. Thanks.

Attachments

• screenshot-nautilus.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 54
There is a problem with your setup. (Nice catch Bruce....)
Unplug the USB cable from the modem to the Win98 PC and then reset the router. After this, start AIM from the other XP PCs.....any luck?

The USB cable acts as a direct serial link (All networks are serial) to the modem, thus interactively negating the network connection to the router. To permenatly fix this problem, connect the Win98 PCs Network card to an open port on the router. Also be sure that the DSL modem is connected to the "Internet" or "WAN" port on the router and the PCs are connected to the numbered ports.
You will no longer be using the USB cable. If you don't have a network card on the Windows 98 machine, then you can either purchase one at Best Buy for like $20, or I can sell you a Linksys Cat5 > USB converter for like $10. These are very handy....

-Mike

damn it mike, looks like you beat me to it, hehe:eek:

i am confirming what he is saying. all computers should be pluged into a port on the router's built-in switch. the phone line should be pluged only to the modem.

the modem should only be connected to the phone line and the router, so unplug win98 machine from modem and plug it to router. you should be all set.

and BTW the guy really is a professional or at least a smart handy man. wiring through walls is not what an average person knows how to do.

Thanks guys for all the help. The windows 98 Computer does not have a network card so I am going to go get one and install it and try it all out and will let you know what happens.

Just got a network card in the windows 98 computer. Disconnected the USB cord and used a Ethernet cord and still have the same problem. In fact this time, the Windows 98 computer won't even run aol or download programs properly when before it was just the 2 computers in the back of the house that didn't work right. Any more ideas? Thanks.

AIM problem

My girl freind is haveing the same problem. I just set up a linksys wireless router at her house. So that her and her sister can share ther cable connection. she gets kicked from AIM after ten mins and then cant get back on. Her laptop is wireless and ther sisters PC is wired. Her siters PC runs AIM fordays. I had her Bring her laptop to my house and AIm steyed connected for 2 full days. The only thing diffrent at my house was i had my Encryption turned of i sent her home turned of her encryptions and still the same problem. All PC's are XP. Crazy stuff any ideas about that

hi If you have DR TCP its a software to change the MTU size by default it is set 1500, on those system where its not working change the MTU size by using DR TCP to 1482 and then check AOl messanger works or not. The problem seemz to be with pppoe.

Re: AIM problem

I got my problem fixed a few months ago. It turns out the problem had nothing to do with the hookup. One of the 3 computers had a virus. I forget what it was called but I had to hire a tech to come over and he recomended running the latest virus protection there was and it found a virus. Even though it was just on one computer, since all 3 computers were hooked together, it affected AIM on all of them. Once the computer was cleaned it worked fine. So you might want to run a good virus scan on it. Hope it helps. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom