Adding internet to a switch/hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew75

Beta member
Ok this is probably a simple question but I have a little network knowledge but this one has me. Ok I am working in the office at a restaurant and they want to ad wireless capabilities for management, so that they can access the computers in the office on the floor. The thing is all the computers are hooked into a hub/switch in a back room and we have a dsl connection in the office and one of the computers in the office is not hooked up to the network because there was not a seperate line ran into the office for it. My question is, can you put the router in the office so that they both hook up or do you have to put the routher in the room with the hub and if you do can you hook it up to the uplink of the hub or just replace the hub all together with the router? My boss does not want to spend alot of money doing this and I am sure it does not require a proffesional to do it. The thing is the computer in the office runs the "aloha" (restaurant software) so if it goes down then all the computers that the waiters access will not work. Any help some one can give will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Stew

I don't understand your question well, but if you want to ad wireless capabilities to your current network. You can done it in the following way: At first, you need to buy a wireless router with RJ-45 ports. Then just connect your hub in the office to the router's RJ-45 port(Attention:not the uplink port) and the DSL connection to the internet port on the router. Don't change any connection on your present network. After connecting, go to the administration tools of your router and setup the network settings. That's all. PS: DHCP is prefered

just ask me if you have any other problems:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom