3 / 4G Failover Router Recommendations Please??

Witterings

Solid State Member
Can anyone help point me on the right direction for a Router with 3 / 4 G Failover for if you're phone line has a problem.
I know there are the DrayTek ones but most of them are quite pricey and was really looking for something more budget, I believe some of them can be quite fussy on what dongles they're compatible with so ideally one that will work with most.

I only use it as a back up for if my internet dies so just use a 3 pay as you go dongle .... I have used it with an Asus router in the past and it was fine using VoIP over it as well but it was a modem router which died and have since gone to fibre and have a separate modem.

If anyone has any suggestions they'd be much appreciated and if I need to spend to money to get a DrayTek will be ideally not of I don't have to.

I believe this could be achieved by running OpenWRT on a router. Theres quite a few routers capable of OpenWRT, (I personally recommend the linksys E3000 - its cheap and works very well).

You can then use various scripts to automate the failover process. Here is a good example, however there are many examples out there on how this could be done.

https://itbusters.wordpress.com/201...lover-between-wan-and-3g-on-tp-link-wr1043nd/

It may not be the easiest process, but for anything remotely affordable, you will most likely have to make it yourself. Unless someone has found an easier, more affordable option I would be glad to know.

IntelFanboy417 Hi,
It doesn't need to be an automatic failover, I wouldn't even leave it plugged in most of the time. It's more for if there is a problem that's going to last a couple of days / requires and engineer call out which isn't that often thankfully but is totally crippling when it does happen as it' affects my phones as well.

In that case I would recommend this TP-Link router. It would be easier to setup than the OpenWRT method, but it dosen't support as many types of USB modems as OpenWRT would.

This router can work with quite a few USB modems, there's a Compatibility List on TP-Link's website.

What kind of USB modem would you be using? And with what provider?
If your brand is not listed there for TP-Link support, I would check the Amazon reviews as well, there are a few customers who bought it and found that it worked with different kinds of modems.

If you are still interested in the OpenWRT option however, you will have to get your hands dirty in the command line. There is quite a few good tutorials online on how to accomplish this for example, here is a tutorial I have used in the past.

Hope I could be of some assistance! :)

Dont use tower failover. It's very expensive right now. We cap out in hours after failing, and if you think data roaming is expensive, just wait till you cap out a tower failover system. Your better off with a second install at a lower bandwidth.

Dont use tower failover. It's very expensive right now. We cap out in hours after failing, and if you think data roaming is expensive, just wait till you cap out a tower failover system. Your better off with a second install at a lower bandwidth.

Agreed. Even getting a dedicated second fibre line installed in the ground would be cheaper.

If your company is large enough to depend on an online presence for operations, then a 3G/4GLTE failover isn't too bad. Most companies use satellite as a backup, but add in the latency and lower overall speed... Oh, and it's also about $7500/month right now for unlimited data at 10Mbps on satellite for enterprise if you happen to end up on Viasat-1 or Jupiter-One

Back
Top Bottom