2 computer network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunadan1821

Baseband Member
I am just starting to dabble into networking so my first step is to connect two computers and make a closed network (doesnt have outside internet). Do I need to set up IP+subnet and use one computer as the "server"so to speak? I am planning on using an eithernet cable between a linux (red hat 9.0) and a laptop (winxp hm). I would really like any advice since im kinda heading in blind. I really dont know what im doing but I have a lot of enthusiasm, so any and all help or comments would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

I think the best(simplest not cheapest) way to go about this would be to purchase a router, which will assign them ips and kinda be the gateway between them. I think you can find them pretty cheap on ebay or try pricegrabber.com

Thanks. Is there a way to just direct connect? I know that there is with 2 windows computers( at least Iv heard you can)

Yeah with windowz you can...I have no Idea about linux...Ive dabbled in linux a bit but Ive never really gotten too far into it.

Ah yea, thats the thing. Im working on it, but its definitly harder than just 2 windows computers.

I suppose of you connected them via ethernet they would get the connection.

try connecting them then entering "service eth0 restart" in root mode

I think the windows will recognize the connection...And just hope that linux will.

found this in tech republic newsletter, i think its worth mentioning

Linux offers the ability to act as both firewall and router for multiple computers. You can easily set this up using iptables.

A number of tools exist to help build firewall scripts using iptables. If you just want to share a connection with a very simplistic firewall, you can even be up and running in a few minutes.

Execute the following commands on your Linux box. This example assumes that eth0 is the network interface connected to the cable or DSL modem.

# iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
# modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
# iptables -P INPUT DROP

Of course, this is greatly simplified; it's just the basics to get you up and running quickly. For a more comprehensive firewall solution to handle both the firewall and the sharing aspects of the setup, check out tools such as Shorewall.

Hmm.. so would I run those commands in terminal? When I hooked them up, I made and eth0 connection in the network setings on my linux box. When I activated it, I didnt know where to look for the laptop it was connected to. I tried to manually setup ip and subnet masks for both computers and ping back and forth but i couldnt get them to except my numbers. I tried using DHCP on the laptop and then running ipconfig to get the ip. then tried to ping from the linux box but the cmd is different in terminal i think

for DHCP you need DHCP server running on computer or router or etc.. But Running.
Do you have DHCP server in your linux box?
If no set the IP manually. let's say Linux box 192.168.0.1 your laptop 192.168.0.2
then try pig each other.
from Linux Box # or $ ping 192.168.0.2
if the reasault is OK this is confirmation that both are hooked.

If you have DNS server running you can try ping by name not by IP address.

CMD and Terminal are diferent BUT the "ping" command is same
and the result will be same from both sides....

Bay the way: When you driving CAR with 1 x steer and 3 x pedals, You read so many papers till you get the "Driving Licence".

So why if you want to run Linux Box with 105 x buttons not read at least 1 proper book.

Thanks for the help. About reading, I am just starting to learn linux, starting about 2 weeks ago. I am just trying to learn what I can and am reading all I can find. Can you recommend any good books on linux for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom