Wow, this is freaking HORRIBLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The General

Banned
So there were lots of things gone-wrong with Debian, so I figured it was time for a reinstall. I figured "Hey, I kinda want those wobbly windows, and its 'easy' to get them in Ubuntu." Knowning that Ubuntu is based on Debian, I was like "how different could it be?"

What I FREAKING HATE about Ubuntu:

1. It installs using the "nv" drivers for X. THEY DO NOT WORK. They are NOT!!! compatible with newer cards. By the time I go to hit ctrl-alt-f1 so I can kill x and reconfigure, X has made the system hang and the only way to restart is by holding the power button down for 5 seconds.

WOW this is a GREAT distro....

2. Shift backspace kills X. I have killed X 3 times just trying to FREAKING TYPE this post. THREE TIMES!!! I'm afraid to even touch the backspace key.

3. The pre-packaged kernels don't support SMP. Only the 64-bit one. Why?? I had to add a Debian repository just to get a usable kernel. This trashed apt and there was no recovering from the broken dependencies.

4. The root account is disabled, sudo is really annoying.

5. The stupid sounds it makes when gdm starts and when I log in.

6. The ugly brown metacity theme.

7. The fact that the ONLY program in Applications -> System Tools is nvidia-settings. And that only showed up AFTER I had to use the nvidia-installer to install the drivers.

8. nvidia-glx is broken. They screwed it up by trying to make it easier. Nope! Once again Ubuntu FAILS.

9. gcc isn't install by default. Now that apt is trashed, how do I install stuff? I can't compile anything, because I dont have a compiler. And I can't apt-get things.

10. These notification bubbles are almost as annoying as the Windows XP ones. I HATE BUBBLES.

So far Debian has been a doosy of a lot easier to use than Ubuntu. Debian doesn't have ANY of these problems.

What I like about Ubuntu:

1. Memtest 86+ is installed with the OS, and can be found in grub when you start the computer.

If someone can tell me what on earth I'm doing wrong, it'd be much appreciated. If this is just what Ubuntu is like, then wow. I'm shocked.

I like Ubuntu though it is a crippled OS in sorts it's still rather good, small, and flexible.

Ever used a different Linux distro?

Cause that was the worst experience I've ever had with Linux.

Once, 2fast4u (who uses Ubuntu) needed some help with installing Ndiswrapper and nvidia-glx, so I SSHed his machine and went about installing them.

Cut and dry, right? No.

gcc wasn't installed, as you said, and there were so many missing dependencies it wasn't even funny, and on top of that, it just simply refused to compile the nVidia drivers. I'm still not sure why.

I not be trying Ubuntu again for a very, very long time.

BTW General, were you using sid or etch? If you were using sid, then I suggest you try etch. I've found it to be very nice.

I hate Ubuntu with a passion, trying to install anything is a pain, Sudo is the worst concept Known to man. Compatability and Auto detection is sub par @ best

Disadvantages of Ubuntu. The fact that it didn't have easy access to the root privileges as a normal user became annoying, the Printer support simply wasn't there and the totem media package failed to handle Mpg files most of the time. Not to mention the fact the new Gnome desktop, while looking prettier didn't increase the usability of the OS all that much. Instead of having one window with a simple back button every time you clicked on a new item it would open a new window. So if say, you had to do in depth work into the filing system you would need A packed lunch so you could spend hours trying to figure out which window is which and going backwards and forward between the various points. It was slow and the brown, I was so over the color brown this point.

Excerpt from my Linux reveiw: http://unlimited-tech.com/index.php?showtopic=373

I will not be using ubuntu EVER again, I'll probably write a Reveiw of them but that is as far as I'll go

Jake

I'm using sid. I haven't had many problems at all with it. I copied my /home/usr/.evolution, cause normally i can just paste it into my new home folder and evolution is just like I left it before, but it's not working right now. I think it's just a bad day...

I installed Windows XP, so I could play CoD2, and after I installed some updates and rebooted, I got BSOD every time.

jakec said:
So if say, you had to do in depth work into the filing system you would need A packed lunch so you could spend hours trying to figure out which window is which and going backwards and forward between the various points.

You just had to go to Edit -> Prefs -> Behaviour and check "Always open in browser"

Don't get me wrong, I am by NO means defending Ubuntu, but I am defending Gnome :p

I never had any of those problems. I started people out that have no experience with linux just fine on it.

For system related applications just go to System->(anything). For gcc and such sudo apt-get install build-essential.

Never use a debian kernel on a non-debian system. Ubuntu has grown apart very much. Grow your own kernel if you really want.

NV drviers do work, you problably have a bad xorg.conf.

Root account can be enabled by "sudo passwd root".

To configure gdm go to System->Administration->Login Window. You can make people logon automatically too.

If you cannot install nvidia-glx, roll your own with this script: http://www.albertomilone.eu/ubuntu/nvidia/scripts/envy_8762_32

Anything else?

Wow, okay. Great.

All kernels are created equal.

Gcc isn't installed by default.

Shift backspace kills X.

Ugly brown metacity theme.

System - > is EMPTY until AFTER I install nvidia-settings.

nvidia-glx is broken and doesnt support my smp kernel.

Why would I want it to login automatically? Why not just TELL people the root password?

Great, root account can be enabled, it should BE enabled by default.

NV drivers do NOT!!!! work with new cards. Please don't tell me that they do, because they do NOT!!! work. I have NEVER gotten them to work.

Please don't take that the wrong way. I like you Sevoma, I hope that didn't offend you, as I didn't mean it to be a flame. I am just extremely frustrated by that huge misadventure I had, all because I wanted to see the wobbly windows. I have tried the Kororaa XGL Live CD, but I wanted to try it out all the time and test it's stability.

Either way, killing X on accident after typing a long post is the most frustrating thing I have ever had happen to me.

Applications->System tools is different than System-. It is another menu on the top bar.

The nv drivers worked fine on my 7600gt... and old video cards I had.

All kernels are not created equal. Some have special patches (I am pretty sure debian does), and some have different options.

I think your best choice would be to wipe it since you messed up apt. Use some of this guide if you cannot compile a kernel: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=157560 .

I was just trying to help you out before... I have used numerous distros and have found Ubuntu the best (even against debian).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom