Ubuntu wont install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's the thing:- I burned it with Infra Recorder and selected 1x speed (the lowest) but it seemed to ignore that and burn it at Max. Maybe that is what it is then.

I dont have any bluetooth devices by the way.

If you can only burn at max speed it sould be a hardware or software issue. Try imgburn and see if you can select a slower speed. Alternatively, most linux distros come with a media checking facility you could try that but it usually takes quite a while.

Ive just burned it again - on a different burner at 8 speed, so will try it now and let you know. thanks.:D

argh - it happened again ! I'll give it one more try with imgburn and the slowest possible. then im really stuck if that doesnt work.

Ok, it now looks like it could be a faulty ISO. I got the following error message at the end of the burning process in Img Burner:

I/O Error

Device {my dvd drive(which is NEC)]
Interpretation: Check condition
Sense area :{digits}
interpretation: no seek complete

this was burned at 1x on a 700MB CD-R. So, it can only be the iso i downloaded???

Ok, it's definitely not a problem with the ISO or how i'm burning. I've eliminated this buy trying a free copy on dvd that came with a magazine - and the exact same problem occurs. It therefore must be a hardware compatibility issue, although my system specs more than meet the requirements. It's still a mystery though.

Not to step on your toes but, you ARE trying a different CD every time you try to burn it, right?

Also - make sure you are trying to burn as a CD (if you are using a CD) and not DVD... I know in Nero it's a little setting in the upper right corner that I often overlooked.

Not to step on your toes but, you ARE trying a different CD every time you try to burn it, right?

Yeah, new CD every time. I also bought a magazine with Ubuntu 8.10 as the cover dvd and the exact same thing happens. It just stops after stating "ok" next to a few hardware intialisation tests. Very strange indeed.

it was pre-built but not a famous brand, i think they pieced it together:-

Mobo - Asus P5G-MX
CPU - Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @2.40 Ghz
One physical processor 2 cores / 2 logical processors / 64 bits
memory - i've got 2.5 gigs RAM installed
HD - 350 GB

Ok, it now looks like it could be a faulty ISO. I got the following error message at the end of the burning process in Img Burner:

I/O Error

Device {my dvd drive(which is NEC)]
Interpretation: Check condition
Sense area :{digits}
interpretation: no seek complete

this was burned at 1x on a 700MB CD-R. So, it can only be the iso i downloaded???

Well I'm now thinking that it could be your optical drive (NECs are rubbish IMO) have you got two optical drives in the PC or could you get another in there?

to be honest - the same thought crossed my mind about my dvd drive. It normally works ok though. I guess what your saying is that its not reading the disc sectors correctly, causing it to stall. Maybe i should look at installing a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom