redhat 9.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
I am downloading redhat 9.2, is there any way to verify that i have got uncorrupted copies of the cd, (some sort of checksum) or do i just try to install and see what happens.

i have mandrake 8.2 installed on my machine, which also has windows xp, when i get the bootup screen, the default is mandrake, can i have the default as windows xp?
i knwo for windows xp, the default is in the boot.ini but linux dowes not appear to be in the file.

rookie1010 said:
I am downloading redhat 9.2, is there any way to verify that i have got uncorrupted copies of the cd, (some sort of checksum) or do i just try to install and see what happens.

yes; redhat 9 has an md5sum on all discs to verify the integrity. after you burn the install discs, just type:

linux mediacheck

i did not quite understand.
you mean burn the iso onto disks. load each of the disks in the cd rom, and if the cd rom drive is f:
go to the dos prompt in windows xp
and type linux mediacheck

Sorry, my bad. :mad:

since rh 7.3, the installer (aka anaconda) can actually test all your installation material. first burn the isos to cdr, then launch the redhat installer. (i.e. just boot from the install disc) at the prompt just type: linux mediacheck. ;)

just double checking
i burn the isos onto a cd using say nero, and end up with say reh_hat92.iso as files on the cd
and then i put the first cd in the cd-rom and at the dos prompt i get do the linux mediacheck thing,
right?

I don't think it is a DOS command, when you run the install, it will check the CD's. If there is an error......think of it as a learning experience....:)

rookie1010 said:
just double checking
i burn the isos onto a cd using say nero, and end up with say reh_hat92.iso as files on the cd
and then i put the first cd in the cd-rom and at the dos prompt i get do the linux mediacheck thing,
right?

NO, your just wasting your cds. an 'iso' is a cd image, do not just copy the 640 meg files to cdrs. open nero; select file>burn image> and select your redhat 9 iso #1, the file should be 'shrike-i386-disc1.iso.' now open the write dialog and record the image to cdr. after you've done this with all 3, then you can insert disc 1 that you JUST MADE and REBOOT your box. if your bios is setup correctly to allow booting from cd, you will see the rh installer. AT THE LINUX INSTALLER PROMPT---> TYPE: LINUX MEDIACHECK (enter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom