New Ubuntu User

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenvoid01

In Runtime
Hey all I've down loaded ubuntu desk top for Intels for a new computer I've got.
It appears that I have successfully installed it but I input my password and username but it goes straight to sudo. I don't how to or even if I'm supposed to get out of it and onto the conventional desktop screen. Is there some thing else I need to down load? Pls Help Thanx

Do you mean terminal? Or possibly xterm?

When you turn on a properly-installed and supported Ubuntu machine, it should go to GRUB (the boot menu) and then to a screen that says Ubuntu with a bar moving back and forth and then loading, and then to a screen that says Ubuntu in the middle with a username/password login. This screen is brown/orange and has a themed background. If you're getting a black screen with text telling you to input your name and password, it isn't working right (that black screen is called the terminal, it is a command line interface that Unix/Linux machines use when they can't run a window manager or don't have one installed).

If you get the nice login screen, that means your X server (the program that manages use of your graphics hardware and screens) is working properly. If you get to the nice login screen, go down to the bottom, click Sessions, and choose Failsafe GNOME. GNOME is the default window manager in Ubuntu, it is the program that takes care of drawing menus, windows, backgrounds, and other on-screen elements. It requires the X server to handle the hardware for it. Failsafe GNOME boots up a GNOME session with minimal extra startup processes (kinda like Safe Mode, but not for the entire OS, just the user interface). If this doesn't work and you're at the terminal, you can try entering the command "startx". This will attempt to start the graphical user interface.

this is what I get on a black screen: Login Username: John
Password: Doe

John@ubuntu:$

I dont know what I am supposed to do from here to get to the desk top

Saxon's right I accidently used the server I am supposed to use the desk top right? I did initially but it didn't work probably because I the iso burn speed was too fast.

If you already have the server edition installed, no need to burn a new CD, just install the desktop from the repository.

At the terminal, type:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

You need to be connected to the Internet, and you will be prompted for your password. After that, it may ask you if you want to continue (hit Enter). It should go through a long list of stuff and download it and install it. Then you can use startx to get into desktop. It should also go to the desktop login screen next time you restart your machine.

It was when I went from Ubuntu Desktop to Kubuntu Desktop, never used the server or command line versions though, but either way you can install the desktop, if it doesn't start, just do startx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom