Making a change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am actually enjoying Gnome 3. There are some quirks to get used to, but the same can be said of any OS. The YaST tool is certainly different. :lol:

Overall I am enjoying the change. I have not missed Windows since I installed this and have not even bothered to boot back into Win7 to get back on the Windows bootloader instead of using the GRUB that openSUSE installed.

I have not installed the KDE aspect. Not to sure how things will go for having multiple desktop environments.

Still gotta figure out how to rip my DVD's to avi for use with my portable player the kid uses. UGH to much to do, not enough time...

Once I upgrade my rig to include an SSD, I will dual boot windows and linux. Still testing which flavor to put on there.

Will definitely test out openSUSE

Overall I am enjoying the change. I have not missed Windows since I installed this and have not even bothered to boot back into Win7 to get back on the Windows bootloader instead of using the GRUB that openSUSE installed.

Funny you say that. I used to be a pretty big gamer, so I'd dual boot and do my thing with gaming then pop back over to Ubuntu for everything else. I recently redid my desktop (new rig) and I found once I installed W7, I was so impatient with installing drivers, I didn't even bother. It's been a few weeks now and I still have a fresh vanilla install of W7 that is still pretty much unusable until I get over there and finish things out.

Once I upgrade my rig to include an SSD, I will dual boot windows and linux. Still testing which flavor to put on there.

Will definitely test out openSUSE

I'm actually doing that now. SSD over SATA3 makes a huge difference. My system is kind of a mish mash, but I think it works well. I have a 60gb SSD for Ubuntu's OS and 2x1TB for /home (mirror). I also have a 250GB HDD in there that Windows 7 is sitting on. So essentially, I dual boot between SSD and 250GB drive where the two operating systems lay, and then the array is for my personal data on Ubuntu.

I've seen a huge speed improvement with using SSD on the new rig. Once the BIOS is over it's mere seconds before I'm at the login screen. It's nice having even bigger applications, such as Libre Office or certain multimedia applications, load almost instantly. I'm definitely not going back. In fact, I just bought an E4300 Latitude on Ebay... and I found you can swap out the optical drive for a SATA HDD converter to have a 2nd drive. Yep, I'm doing SSD for OS in primary bay and using the 250gb SATA drive it's coming with as a secondary for /home.

Love it.

Funny you say that. I used to be a pretty big gamer, so I'd dual boot and do my thing with gaming then pop back over to Ubuntu for everything else. I recently redid my desktop (new rig) and I found once I installed W7, I was so impatient with installing drivers, I didn't even bother. It's been a few weeks now and I still have a fresh vanilla install of W7 that is still pretty much unusable until I get over there and finish things out.

Well if I can find replacement stuff for what I do in Windows, I will stay with *NIX. I like openSUSE but not sure if it will be the one I stick with. If I can find software, it is easy enough to use. Debian is great. Just had some issues I couldnt overcome with my n00b knowledge.

I want to go back to Ubuntu, I just cant get past Unity. I dont like things on my desktop, period. Having Unity there in my face all time just annoyed me to no end, even more than Win8 did before I formatted it from my PC.

I'm actually doing that now. SSD over SATA3 makes a huge difference. My system is kind of a mish mash, but I think it works well. I have a 60gb SSD for Ubuntu's OS and 2x1TB for /home (mirror). I also have a 250GB HDD in there that Windows 7 is sitting on. So essentially, I dual boot between SSD and 250GB drive where the two operating systems lay, and then the array is for my personal data on Ubuntu.

I've seen a huge speed improvement with using SSD on the new rig. Once the BIOS is over it's mere seconds before I'm at the login screen. It's nice having even bigger applications, such as Libre Office or certain multimedia applications, load almost instantly. I'm definitely not going back. In fact, I just bought an E4300 Latitude on Ebay... and I found you can swap out the optical drive for a SATA HDD converter to have a 2nd drive. Yep, I'm doing SSD for OS in primary bay and using the 250gb SATA drive it's coming with as a secondary for /home.

Love it.

I would love to learn to do this. openSUSE easily allowed for me to install and have the switch auto setup for / and /home without me having to go in and do it. I have my SSD but right now only Win7 is on it and it is being wasted. I would really like to get some info on how to accomplish this task so I can use the SSD but not kill it with overuse.

Awesome.
Not missing playing games on your computer though?
That is the only reason for me to dual boot as well. Because I play games. If I didn't play games I would be on some Linux flavor 100%.

I had tried a while back, and they all seemed to not work. Given I don't play those anymore, so there may be hope.

Does steam work well on Wine? If that and another game (World of Tanks) works on wine then I am all set for full Linux on my main machine.

Awesome.
Not missing playing games on your computer though?
That is the only reason for me to dual boot as well. Because I play games. If I didn't play games I would be on some Linux flavor 100%.

Nah, my gaming interests kind of died out. It's strange, because when I see Battlefield 3 footage I get all warm and fuzzy inside. But then I look at the money it costs and the fact I get brain dead bored after gaming for more than 5 minutes and I end up backseating that idea. Since my gaming interests kind of phased out, it's only further solidified just how unnecessary Windows is for me these days. That said, having W7 handy is nice in case that interest ever re-kindles. Very possible, but somewhat unlikely these days.

Well if I can find replacement stuff for what I do in Windows, I will stay with *NIX. I like openSUSE but not sure if it will be the one I stick with. If I can find software, it is easy enough to use. Debian is great. Just had some issues I couldnt overcome with my n00b knowledge.

I want to go back to Ubuntu, I just cant get past Unity. I dont like things on my desktop, period. Having Unity there in my face all time just annoyed me to no end, even more than Win8 did before I formatted it from my PC.

I'm not sure I'm following. Do you mean Unity when it's not set to auto hide? I set Unity to auto hide. What's ironic about Unity is I once hated it passionately. 11.04's Unity was a bust, however the developers even notated that it needed a ton of work, unlike Vista (if I dare to compare) that was pushed as great and amazing when the world's user base had a different opinion. 11.10 brought nice changes to Unity, but I still favored Gnome Shell. These days, I'm using 12.04 Beta, and I'm loving Unity. The more I use it, the more it simply makes sense. All I did with mine was set it to auto hide and had some patience as I got re-adjusted to it (again), but it turned out to be half decent.

That said, I try to be open minded about different desktop environments. I love each one for different reasons. Right now, Unity and LXDE are probably in my top 2, seeing that Unity is a usable desktop environment containing a more modern and eye candy driven look, whereas LXDE is just crazy small for some older hardware I have. On the flip side, we use XFCE at work with a custom in-house brewed theme, and I think rather highly of it and wouldn't vote to change it.

I would love to learn to do this. openSUSE easily allowed for me to install and have the switch auto setup for / and /home without me having to go in and do it. I have my SSD but right now only Win7 is on it and it is being wasted. I would really like to get some info on how to accomplish this task so I can use the SSD but not kill it with overuse.

You'd like to learn how to set up split partitions? I actually created a video a while back on YouTube. I thought I lost it but here it was under my old YouTube name, prior to the YouTube/Google merge. This is super easy to do, and majority of the time your experience with it will match the video's steps.

Advanced Partitioning In Linux: Splitting Root + Home Directories. - YouTube

WARNING - The following scenario below is likely information overload that won't apply to you if you're installing Ubuntu onto a single SSD/SATA drive.

In my case, my home directory resides on a RAID, in particular a software RAID controlled by the mdadm package. The mdadm package in particular is not installed from a fresh install, so naturally in the installer, I see two single 1 TB drives, instead of one solid drive like you'd typically see in a RAID'd mirror array. What's important is that I don't screw with them in the partitioner. I go to advanced partitioning, yes, and I select swap and root accordingly, but then I just move on without touching the RAID'd drives.

So, what do I do to patch my array as /home? It's a few extra steps, but still pretty easy. I simply install Ubuntu to the root drive, in my case, the SSD, and I do not split off root and home. Once installed, I boot into Ubuntu and install mdadm. Then I reboot. Upon powering up, the RAID array will be seen, since the drives are each tagged as a RAID device. The catch is, they're not seen as /home. So, fire up terminal and run "sudo blkid" and it fires back the UUID for each device. /dev/md0 or /dev/md(something) will show up. The /dev/md* is your RAID array. Copy that UUID, fire up fstab, and add an entry for /home to the UUID, like so:

Code:
jason@Area51:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
# / was on /dev/sdd2 during installation
UUID=0fdcafa9-dd84-492c-b3c1-3095fafd1b99 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sdd1 during installation
UUID=b6384b13-fc82-48e7-8e89-e78db297f56a none            swap    sw              0       0
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
# RAIDED HOME DIRECTORY OVER MDADM SOFTWARE RAID
UUID=43468e30-1c93-4a10-8a6c-fd9622cfba36 /home ext4    defaults        0       2
jason@Area51:~$

That's my exact /etc/fstab. I edited it manually, but there's a GUI utility in the Software Center that should take care of this as well. Once edited, reboot, and your home directory should be on the array. It was evident to me it worked fine when, of course my data was there, but also my beloved Pink Floyd wallpaper was back. :D

Hey Jayce,

Well being a windows person and not knowing that Unity could be auto hidden, plus using it in only 11.04 and not the newer versions it was always in my face and annoyed me. But now that I have 11.10 installed Unity isnt that bad. It does auto hide when my apps are open and such. Which is a nice new feature. I would like to know how to hide it while on my desktop, if possible. Only having it show when i go to the upper corner and make it appear would be nice.

Another thing that I found that annoys me, how can I change the blasted theme! While the new darker theme looks great, I prefer the clearlooks controls. That is the one thing that Windows has done to me. I always look to the upper right for my close and minimize buttons. After scrolling to that corner only to have to go all the way across the screen is a waste. I think I found a way to do that now. Just found it via Google. So hopefully this works to address that issue I am having.

I did install Ubuntu to my SSD. I hope everything is done right. Not to sure at this point. But I did set it to / on the SSD and /home on my mechanical drive. I just dont know where the apps are installing to. I hope the mechanical drive and not the SSD. Anyway I can verify this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom