help with booting multiple os

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mort

Baseband Member
hi there,
i am writing in regard to a small problem i have trying to load fedora core onto my laptop. i am running windows xp on it at the moment and i would like to run fedora core aswell. i have two partitions on my laptop ( c: and d: ) windows is on c: and i installed fedora on d: successfully but i cannot boot it or get the bootloader to run...... the boot loader i am using is GRUB. can you offer any help. one problem i can think of is that i am using a cd-rom as a boot disk as my laptop does not have a floppy drive.

the laptop is:
pentium 4
256ddr
40g hdd
i also have an ethernet/modem card which is automatically picked up during installation.

i installed the bootloader on the first sector of the partition
i mounted the partition as "/" (root)
i also added a swap partition aswell

but still no cigar...

i have gotten as far as installing it. one problem i have is that the /boot partition was not inside the boot region of the hard drive and secondly, when i install it and run the linux rescue command i get to the command shell and what i am typing appears three lines below my actualy monitor (i cant see what i have typed untill i push enter three times) i fixed the boot parttion location but still have the shell problem....help! also when i type the command: grub-install /dev/hda4 (its on partition hda4) it says: cannot find file /dev/hda4 i will try the command: fdisk/ mbr but what will it do and also i read that i would need to configure windows bootloader so that it runs grub first and i can choose OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom