Fedora Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeisalsocool

Daemon Poster
Could you post your opinion on Fedora Core 3. I just downloaded it and installed it last night. Now granted I'm running it on the rig in my sig. But it just seems to have a better feel than XP. It uses a whole crap load less RAM at idle too. Thanks. -Joe

the main problem i have with fc3 is the removal of all copyrighted/non-free software, such as mp3 playback librarties and just about every video playback format. to get a system good for playing multimedia, it will take you many hours of hunting down libraries and dependancies. other than that, FC3 is not bad. As anyone who has ready pretty much any of my posts will tell you though, Slackware is what I find to be a great all-around distro. Installation can be a little rough for newbies but once you get the feel of it it is a breeze.

Compared to Redhat, Fedora Rocks. It is very simplistic and uses a lot less RAM and other computer Recorces than Windows. However I agree with 'Macdude' there are better linux distros availible

PS I also agree with Macdude's comments about SUSE, Awful awful OS

Cheers,

Jake

ya, Suse 9.3 pro for example, does NOT come with gcc, thats about as silly as it gets

get slackware, if you cant do it with slackware, you cant do it period

Another Good Linux distro to try is Ubuntu, then once you get more perficiant with that try Kbuntu.

I like Ubuntu because it is A more simplistic OS, It has access to Root terminal and unlike alot of Linux OS it doesn't come with a whole bunch of apps your not going to use.

PS. Hardware detection is Good if your running Ubuntu full install, However on live CD although still good it could be inproved
(a.k.a Internet modem detection)

Jake

Fedora project is a way for developers to try new things with Linux. It is not the most stable distro going. I have used Red hat since the caveman and love it. I am still using RH9 on my Web Server. The longest uptime was 256 days. ThatÂ’s 256 days without rebooting, not bad.

Allot of the new distros are coming packaged with allot of GUI stuff that makes life easy for the desktop applications. ItÂ’s all good.

Depending on what you plan to use your system for will determine which distro best fits your needs.

Slackware is a good choice.
Debian is a little tricky on the install front, but I like it.
Suse Desktop I did not like, but the 10.0 amd 64 version shows serious potential.
I personally did not like Ubuntu, but some of my colleges love it.

Bottom line is Linux is Linux, whatÂ’s packaged around it that makes or breaks the distro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom