Almost there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral558

Baseband Member
I had to repartition the harddrive to get a section large enough for linux install software, so I used partition magic to get a 30 GB section off of my 120 GB HD. After reconfiguring the hard drive the fedora installer accepted the unused section of my 120 and proceeded to install on it. I chose to keep dos as my main boot and keep the partitions I already had. Installed GRUB boot loader and it seems to work up until a certain point. Windows still works under the dos boot up, but fedora goes to a blank screen immediately after it displays:

"Welcome to fedora core 1
Press I to enter...."

Then the keyboard Num/Caps/Scroll led's blink 3 times in succession repeatedly. What does this type of post mean?

**edit
I checked with partition magic back in Windows xp Home and the 120 GB HD has 1 windows partition and the following 4 for linux:

"/boot( *: )"
"/( *: )"
"/( * )"
"SWAPSPACE2( *: )"

erroneous spaces above are to get rid of smiley faces...

Ok maybe I shouldn't have listed those partitions, I did AUTOMATIC partitioning in the Fedora installer so those aren't specified by me...I was just stating that the partitions were correctly created.

I got past the boot loader by removing linux and its partitions and reinstalling. So now I'm at the initial setup and configuration, but now I cant use my mouse or keyboard.

This thing is fighting me the whole way.

It doesnt let me use my mouse if I specify it as a microsoft intelli ps/2 or a generic wheel mouse (which it initially probes my mouse to be) and the keyboard is totally unfunctional, can't turn on num/caps/scroll locks.

Sorry bout the bunch of questions but I'm really eager to get this up and running before I get home because I don't have a good internet connection if I need to redownload the linux iso files.

finally got it working, by creating my own partitions in partition magic and then using disk druid instead of automatic partition in fedora.

thnx for all the help, now I just need to enable internet connections through mozilla, saving that for another day...

hehe easy as pie(posting with mozilla are there any other web browsers that anyone uses?), just had to find the ol' residential network info card.

2 quick questions:

-how can I play mp3's in fedora(a good player to download?) and is fedora compatable with my muvo nx mp3 player or do I have to get the wine package?

-can I change the type of a partition so it is readable and editable by both windows and linux?

-is there a package to download new mouse settings so I can use my 5 button and a wheel intelli mouse? (accidentally left it under generic wheel ps/2 when I installed)

thats probably my limit for annoying yall today with questions, but THANKS everyone for all the help getting this finally working, its a nice change from windows and so far I'm lovin it

brace yourself, newbie question coming up...

Fedora says I don't have permissions to edit the XF86Config file as it is read only unless you are the owner. I thought I could access the super user account by going into the terminal and typing su and then the password created at initial setup.

I'm guessing I'm going at this one the wrong way...I understand most of the code suggested but I can't edit it :confused:

yeah thnx figured out that one after my last exam I was confused why it didn't carry over at first but then I remembered linux is not windblows :eek:

if you open a console
su
and then for example
Gedit <filename> &
the Gedit process gets started with root userid...
And is therefore is enabled with all of the rights and privledges of GOD. . .

perhaps you need to look at the file permissions/owner you may need to chmod the file. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom