Certified to do warranty repairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesx4911

In Runtime
Hey I been wondering this for a while now, Im working in the IT industry at my 2nd IT job repair laptops, and I feel like I am just another number in their warehouse. They dont keep it heated very well in the winter, the pay is not that great, and they promised I would learn new things and I havent. All I do is repair laptops all **** day and Im sick and tired of working here. I looking to get some new certs, but Im not ready to take a networking test I need more time to study. Is there any certs I can take to certify me to do warranty work on hp and etc? I think that would make me a lot more marketable than just having a A+ cert

You'll need to contact HP, Dell, etc... to find out what they require to do warranty work.

Quite a few of our members have different types of certifications. I, on the other hand, don't have any certifications and I've never been to college. I've found hands-on knowledge, word of mouth and a lot of self-confidence can go a long ways.

The last corporate america job I applied for (residential drafter), before I opened my own office, was for a large home builder (500+ homes a year). I walked in and told the architect I could do the job faster and better than anyone in the city and I would work a week for free if they found my work unsatisfactory. Within 6 months I had her job.

Honestly I think warranty repair is NOT the best way of going about getting certifications. The reason being you are confining yourself to one piece of the market. A+ covers most networking on a basic level, while an HP certification just says i'm able to repair HP's - not all companies use HP machines.

I think you should stick with more widely used and respected certifications like CompTIA net+ and MIcrosoft certifications like Configuring Windows 7.

Honestly I think warranty repair is NOT the best way of going about getting certifications. The reason being you are confining yourself to one piece of the market. A+ covers most networking on a basic level, while an HP certification just says i'm able to repair HP's - not all companies use HP machines.

I think you should stick with more widely used and respected certifications like CompTIA net+ and MIcrosoft certifications like Configuring Windows 7.

Hmm they actually have a cert just based on configuring windows 7, do you have a link to that?

I should also say that my post wasn't meant to say that warranty certifications from Dell or HP aren't respected - it's just you are narrowing your marketability with something like that when comparing it to womething like a CompTIA, Microsoft or CCNA exam.

TS: Windows 7, Configuring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom