the real power of xbox360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as i know... no. The parts inside the 360 are proprietary (sp?) to the 360's design. Sorry bud. Besides, what would you want to put them into a computer for? The games that are made for the 360 are almost always made for Pc as well. Theres no point.

1st things 1st, the xbox 360 does not have 3 processors running at 3.2ghz, it has 1 processor with 3 cores running at 3.2ghz, typical error made by the console gamer.

2. Money put aside, a high-end PC will obliterate the xbox 360 in terms of performance, and I mean literally tear it apart, and direct x 10 cards aren't even out yet.... you console fan boys can quote triple cores blah blah blah, but it's a well known fact that multi-core CPU's are not overly benificial to gaming performance, as say cache memory, or clock-speed. I could bet my life that a mid range Intel Conroe Dual Core Processor would benefit more to gaming performance.

Even 256mb of ram is nearly the average in all PCs these days.

Erm what self respecting PC owner would be caught dead with 256mb of RAM, even 512mb is becoming outdated, 1gig is comfortable for light gaming, and 2 gigs is the enthusiast's choice.

3. To get the full potential from the xbox 360, you're gonna need a decent HDTV, and they aint cheap, so stop going on about how the xbox is the cheaper option.

4. The PC is a constantly updating medium, bettering itself day by day, the xbox 360 will stay as it is, compare a high-end PC this time next year to the xbox 360, the xbox will look very old hat.

5. The xbox 360 is struggling already, I have seen some games (oblivion in particular) suffer from poor frame rates, particularly in high-def modes, not good at all.

And for the record, I own an Xbox 360, and also a custom built PC, but I'm sick of people making statements that simply aren't true! :p

Okay, few things to point out here....

1st things 1st, the xbox 360 does not have 3 processors running at 3.2ghz, it has 1 processor with 3 cores running at 3.2ghz, typical error made by the console gamer.

Agreed, on this point...

2. Money put aside, a high-end PC will obliterate the xbox 360 in terms of performance, and I mean literally tear it apart, and direct x 10 cards aren't even out yet.... you console fan boys can quote triple cores blah blah blah, but it's a well known fact that multi-core CPU's are not overly benificial to gaming performance, as say cache memory, or clock-speed. I could bet my life that a mid range Intel Conroe Dual Core Processor would benefit more to gaming performance.

Um... no, on all parts here. The reason that multi core CPU's are not beneficial is because the game designers DO NOT OPTIMIZE CODE FOR IT on a PC. There is a huge difference, however, with a console as there is not a change from platform to platform, but a constant hardware schemata to program for. This ultimately means the developers can concentrate on the hardware and not on the difference from machine to machine. Also realize, the code being written for the 360 is no where NEAR optimized yet, as it takes developers time to fully thresh out the system. Now, the architecture on a 360 is vastly (maybe not as much as the PS3) different then previous consoles and PC's. Dont believe me? Look up the technology for it's procedural synthesis as well as unified shading technology... look at the relations of direct read/write on the cache straight from the GPU bypassing the main proc. So, if you want to tell me that the PC is far superior, then I ask you one thing. Show me how you tested each unique new architecture, the bench marks, and how you were able to optimize and squeeze out every performance enhancement it has. You can't, because nobody has yet. There is alot of new coding methods involved here, and it takes time to learn the tricks. Remember when nintendo came out and it was fun at first, graphics got outdated then... next thing you know... BAM, donkey kong country. That was from code optimization. So, to sum it up there is NO way of knowing as of now the comparison between the two unless you have some super secret government info that no one else is privy to, then know one knows this information yet. You can speculate, and of course I know your speculation and I respectfully disagree. You must read some indepth tech notes on it to fully understand why. Now to continue...

quote:Even 256mb of ram is nearly the average in all PCs these days.

Erm what self respecting PC owner would be caught dead with 256mb of RAM, even 512mb is becoming outdated, 1gig is comfortable for light gaming, and 2 gigs is the enthusiast's choice.

Don't know where that quote came from, but that is no way near the average so agree there as well...

3. To get the full potential from the xbox 360, you're gonna need a decent HDTV, and they aint cheap, so stop going on about how the xbox is the cheaper option.

That is true, however it looks good on a normal tv as well. I had HDTV before the 360 anyhow for NORMAL tv watching. Just an added perk.

4. The PC is a constantly updating medium, bettering itself day by day, the xbox 360 will stay as it is, compare a high-end PC this time next year to the xbox 360, the xbox will look very old hat.

Again, see the long post above all about optimizing code. I wont go more into this unless you want me to.

5. The xbox 360 is struggling already, I have seen some games (oblivion in particular) suffer from poor frame rates, particularly in high-def modes, not good at all.

Um, no, no, no. Oblivion did NOT suffer from poor frame rates. The problem was with thrashing. When they wrote Oblivion, a problem arose that many people noticed. This was NOT frame rates, it was actually a problem, especially when on horse back, of having to load screen on a constant basis. This was poor programming decisions. Don't get me wrong, those guys can write circles around me in code, I'm not a high level developer, but know enough. Now, as far as the HDTV comment and frame rates you mentioned? Unless you have a defective XBox, that is utterly wrong. The framerates are locked by certain standards AND the HDTV scales are handles not via the GPU, software, and/or proc but by a special chipset. This means that going from a normal TV to say 720p in NO WAY hinders performance. Don't believe me? Again, look at the technical specs (not a quick sheet, but try arstechnica- very indepth, but not for the novice) So, high def is no problem.

And for the record, I own an Xbox 360, and also a custom built PC, but I'm sick of people making statements that simply aren't true! :p

Final word here. This is like comparing apples to oranges. Keep in mind these are first generation games on this console, which use very little of the consoles full potential. Get some indepth info on the 360, its a very interesting architecture... then you may also see why I tell people who say the 360 is just a PC that they are VERY erroneous.

What's with this "you need a HDTV to enjoy your 360". I've been playing regular 640x480 and it looks awsome to me. I mean ofcourse HD is nice but it isn't worth $xxxx.

Atrusthegod said:
I think people are in denial. No computer out has 3 separate cpu's clocked at 3.2ghz each like the xbox does.

No desktop computer, sure, but apparently people don't know about the server boards that DO have 3 separate CPUs at 3.2GHz each. Not to mention the fact that those 3 separate CPUs would have more L1 cache than the 360's, and they would not have a shared L2 cache.

LU4sTrooper said:

OR a PC monitor that anyone a bit hard up who wants HD can easily get their hands on.

I have a 360 and a PC. I play racing games, third person shooters, sport games etc on my 360 but for FPS you cannot beat a PC. Not for frame rates or which processor is faster but because a FPS just feels right on PC with a keyboard and mouse. My PC is in my sig and I recently downloaded the just cause demo on 360 and PC. They look identical but it just felt right on 360 but when HL2:Episode 2 comes out for 360 and PC I just can't see myself playing it on 360. So the reason I've got both machines is that I get the best of both worlds. I think that in some games the 360 has the edge and other the PC wins hands down. For me they compliment each other.

Beefcake said:
What's with this "you need a HDTV to enjoy your 360". I've been playing regular 640x480 and it looks awsome to me. I mean ofcourse HD is nice but it isn't worth $xxxx.

Good to know you have low standards, buddy.

Why even bother arguing with a person like this. I know its hard not to get caught up in an argument knowing your right but letting it go is the best thing. Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom