Idea for casemod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So I got to thinking....

What if we flipped things a bit.. Imagine the xbox 360 on it's side (vertical stand position) now... lets increase the top and bottom size to that of the DVD drive, for on the top the DVD drive would actually be there, the bottom would be an intake fan for more air.... it would look very much like an I with curvey additives so it looked smooth.....

Think this would benefit the drive as well as keeping the system cool?

It could be accomplished... the only thing your really doing is needing to extend the cables that connect the DVD unit to the mainboard, and your giving more room inside the case for air intake - so a custom fan shroud would be needed (mostly for the new open GPU heat sink) and probably a replacement GPU heat sink all together, since you no longer have a DVD drive sitting on top of it.

Make the bottom (under the USB ports) an Intake fan, use some tubing to direct it up to the heat sinks, which will then be a large contained unit of a giant fan shroud, with the normal vents pulling it out.

Case would be larger, having the top and bottom section and would require it to sit vertically all the time.... Requires knowledge of plastic forming to make the custom case..

Here I drew a 5 minute example of what I mean.
customx360-1.jpg

The whole reason I want this is because I want my Xbox Vertical, but I like my disk drive Horizontal.

The eject button needs some work, moving the DVD drive means it would need moved, but I plan to keep the same eject button, just positioned differently on the face plate, but you get the general idea of what I mean.

Possible benefits:
+GPU better cooled, no longer has the DVD drive cutting it off, so it could be a bigger heat sink
+Intake fan for cooling both GPU and CPU - this should actually help keep it cooler by itself.
+Vertical mounting's only problem before was DVD drive, the dvd's got scratched and the system knocked over ruining discs this would be MUCH harder to tip over, and the discs lay flat.
+your system surely qualifies as "unique" at parties to show off.

If your planning on putting it on a desk or other small area, this will allow you to have proper air flow while not taking up as much room horizontally.

You can't cover up the hard drive though, the connector for the HDD is soldered to the motherboard in that one spot. Unless you feel like desoldering the port, running wires from the board to the connector, and making a new HDD mount, you'll have to mount the DVD above the HDD, making it hard to remove the HDD. As for the intake fans...if you're getting rid of the DVD drive and wondering what to do with the gaping hole in the front left by the missing drive, use that as an air intake, you can always use more fans.

As for the GPU heatsink, you could actually buy a second CPU heatsink and use it on the GPU, the alignment holes are the same and the CPU heatsink is a lot better than the GPU one.

well the Harddrive wont move, as illustraited poorly by the second pic, the Dvd drive will sit in front, and if need be, hang over. the front (the bottom will hang over this much as well creating a uniform weight.

Planned to put vents on the old Dvd hole, and allow air flow.

It'll have to hang off I guess since I really don't want to re-solder stuff. But I don't think it'll bother me. It'll give a little tray on the bottom I can place a controller mount on..... and since It's "I " shaped I was going to look at how far the DVd drive size is on top of the system, I might be able to put some controller mounts on the sides as well, a nice uniform Stand/System instead of clutter.

The DVD drive will really have to hang off the back of the system quite a bit...the two overlap considerably. The DVD drive goes almost to the back of the system. I guess you could mod the HDD to be smaller (at the expense of no longer having it removable). The SATA and power cables are also short, though it is easy to get longer SATA cables and you can probably cut the power cord and add more wire to it.

I had an idea.. an extension to the harddrive connector, and have it angled backward off the system, and the system back shape be modded like a sideways L This could easily make a "mech look" for mech lovers.. and I might go for a mech mod with the basic "I" design

Still drawing blue prints. Lol.

one man's disaster is another man's entertainment.

one man's disaster is an Artists Satisfaction.

one man's disaster can lead to another man's Eureka moment.

I live for disasters.

The "I" mech mod is so going into play, concept art is looking pretty good. Got some parts being shipped to me and I hope to put together a mock-up in about a week. I will try and post pictures as we go, first, find a Sacrificial 360, won't be hard, heeereeee ebaaaay.

IMO, DVD drive at bottom, but leave enough space for good airflow... That way the HDD can EASILY be accessed, and you can mod it so you can have aditional USB ports and a second external HDD that could fit up there. At the bottom, a few 80mm fans to pull air in, and a duct to help force it up and into the xbox.... Upgrade the exhaust fans, put a mini heatsink on the HANA chip (that is just an opinion, dunno if that helps with E74 really...) and try to get some filters for the fans just to keep any possible dust out of the box.

Charles scott's idea is a really good one IMO. It would be much more stable because the console wouldn't be nearly as top heavy and if the 360 did get tipped over the CD drive wouldn't fall nearly as far. It Probably wouldn't be all that hard to make it so the main air intake come's from the top which could also be a benefit because if you have your 360 on something that is dusty it the fans would be about a foot away from the dusty object rather then just inches.

Just my opinion, do what you want to do.

If it is going to be vertical, I don't know if putting a heatsink on the HANA is such a good idea. There are no mounting holes that I'm aware of so the heatsink would be held on by the chip itself. The weight when mounted vertical would pull on the solder joints and possibly cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom