Wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The General

Banned
Okay am I the only one who notices crap like this? I just bought Prey, BF2 and FEAR last night, I played FEAR for a while, but BF2 was unplayable.

My encounter with FEAR:

So I install the game, takes me about an hour having to change the disc 5 times. :mad: And when I start the game and set the resolution, 1680x1050 isn't a choice, in fact, 1280x960 is the highest resolution it will let me set it to. So, I try to open the console and do it manually, oh wait, FEAR has no console. At this point I'm already going to shoot myself, but whatever, let's just play it at 1280x960. The first hour or two of the game is just cinematics, so you might as well go watch a movie because skipping the cinematic crashes the game. :amazed: Not only that, but the graphics suck. Everything looks like paper machet, and the shadows look terrible. I'm used to the Doom 3 engine where the shadows are fantastic, and all the textures are smooth, I'm not used to this paper machet crap. One cool thing that I liked about it was that they totally stole the Max Payne slow-mo-matrix effect, but they added to it so it was better, the air ripples or whatever in the path of the bullet, and the sounds worked really well. This game is a keeper, I think I just need to update it or something to get those other resolutions.

Now let's talk about BF2:

First off, this game suffers from the same resolution problems as FEAR. Secondly, I don't get why everyones bragging about the graphics, the shadows look like the shadows from Motocross Madness, and the terrain looks like the terrain from Monster Truck Madness, lol those games that came with Windows 98SE. They suck, plain and simple. Again, everything looks like paper machet (maybe this is a DirectX thing?). One thing that I like are the vehicles, but it's impossible to get in them, and when you do you have a gunner possition with sucks. The bots all run up and take it right before I get to it, and then when I finally get to it, the map is over. This combined with the fact that 85% of the game time is spent "optimizing shaders," loading, and spawning (15 seconds is a bit much, come on, it's like a slap in the face...) and dying, that leaves room for 12% of driving around aimlessly and 3% of actual shooting. This is the part that I really really really hated. There was a guy walking up that was an enemy, and I had the crosshair RIGHT on him, directly pointed at his heart/neckish area, and I just unloaded my magazine and none of the rounds hit him. Why are the guns so inaccurate? And yes, I was looking down the sites like in CoD2) If I put the crosshair on something, I expect the bullet to travel directly into the crosshair, and if it doesnt, the there is less skill involved in aiming. It takes too long to capture a spawn point, you have to sit there for like 30 seconds! Ridiculous. This game sucks. I want a refund.

Prey, well you know my thoughts on Prey, excellent game with excellent graphics, excellent game play, and I give it an over all 97%.

BF2: 10% for trying, and it also has good theme music. :)
FEAR: 65% so far, it may go up after I update it, but until then, thats my rating.

Yeah, I haven't played BF2 myself, but it seems that almost everybody plays it... Doesn't sound that fun to me, same with CS, but maybe that's just because I'm not good at it. I hear that FEAR was really more graphics than gameplay, but some people actually liked the game... so I'm not sure. :(

I probably wouldn't be able to play any of those but BF2 on this computer :(

Oh, then I guess I should get that game (for free ;)) but even on Doom 3, I had to run it at 640x480 I believe, and it was still low quality. Maybe when Christmas comes around and I get a decent video card..

(I'm getting a computer for my birthday sooner or later, but I have to use onboard video for a while :()

The General said:
terrain looks like the terrain from Monster Truck Madness

Awesome...haha! I played BF2 / Fear at a friend's house, but it couldn't keep my attention / make me fork over $100 to buy them... and I know I was not impressed by the graphics whatsoever.

But hey--I don't remember Monster Truck Madness coming with Win98! :p I have it on NES however... I might just have to play that when I get home!

LOL:

ss13.jpg

Do you have all the drivers for your video card? Is your video card powerful enough to run the games? Do you have any and all updates for the games themselves?

BF2 i agree with but Fear looked pretty sweet to me. Doom 3 i mean how do you see any graphics in that game its just black, that game is way to dark. plus i found it pretty boring. Area 51 tho turned out to be a really good game i thought, nobody really talks about it tho.

Snake-Eyes said:
Do you have all the drivers for your video card? Is your video card powerful enough to run the games? Do you have any and all updates for the games themselves?

Yes, yes, and why should I have to install updates for the games to be good? This is like they were then they first came out. I guess I'll install the updates tonight.

Oh, and one more thing: I HATE HAVING TO PUT THE DISC IN THE DRIVE TO PLAY THE GAME!!! THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE!!! WTF?!?!

King X13 said:
BF2 i agree with but Fear looked pretty sweet to me. Doom 3 i mean how do you see any graphics in that game its just black, that game is way to dark. plus i found it pretty boring. Area 51 tho turned out to be a really good game i thought, nobody really talks about it tho.

Doom 3 wasn't dark, the lights were out. FEAR is so low-contrast that it makes the game look crappy. Doom 3 is like watching the X-files without adjusting the TV, FEAR is like watching the X-Files with the contrast at half and the brightness at 100%. You get no more detail, and it looks crapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom