Want to know what is ridiculous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
whathesaid.gif

fuz_master said:
I can run Doom 3, F.E.A.R., Battlefield 2, Quake 4, Call of Duty, 2, FarCry, etc. on med/high settings when I get constant freezes from Oblivion. The only possible way for me to play it is at 640x480, all low settings(and I mean low, sliders all the way down, and everything off) Then it runs fine. When I first started the game, I turned it to 1280x760 or something and med/high settings, worked like a charm. When I got outside it would freeze, I would start running, freeze. WHAT IN GODS NAME IS GOING ON?!
here are my specs
GeForce 6600 256MB
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1 Gig of RAM
160 Gigs of HDD

BTW, when I get it running outside.....It looks like I tweaked a GeForce 4Ti

very strange, i have exactly the same card and i play it on 800x600 with large texture setting and bloom effect, and it runs ok for me, it just freezes a little bet when i fight against enemy but this doesn't buder me

make sure u have the latest nvidia driver, and aslo try to overclock ur card, i overclocked mine from 300/500 to 345/570

no kidding. you need some good dual core CPU and some GPU w/ 512mb SLI'd to play this game on high settings (w/ grass of course) above 1280x****. well, u need it exclusively for outside combat though...inside is usually ok for most of the comps. i mean if u r standing still and get 60FPS on outside but as soon as u move, it drops down to 15FPS. that doesnt mean you are getting average of 35FPS. if u r moving around and gets 35FPS then u r getting 35FPS.

Nubius said:
Are you seriously unable to comprehend why that is?

Doom3 = ALMOST TWO FREAKIN YEARS AGO DUDE.

I mean jesus man, you're that shocked that a 2 year old game runs fine but a game JUST released doesn't?

Doom3 is all indoors, not huge environments, no HDR, not the same soft shadows I believe, etc...etc...

Oblivion is using basically all the latest shading, shadowing, mapping, textures, blah blah blah with the latest cards and things like SLI in mind.

For one, an athlon XP CPU isn't exactly hot stuff anymore. They aren't bad, but you're losing a TON of memory bandwidth compared to an AMD64 system. Beyond that a game like oblivion has dual cores in mind as well. Also, a 6600 256mb is already pretty outdated the way things have been advancing. Yeah doom3 ran on high when I had a 6600GT back after doom3 had first come out, but what the crap do you expect dude. The 6600GT was a midrange card for it's generation and now it's already two generations old.

None of this explains the freezing, but seriously man. Use some common sense about this......of course your system is going to be brought to it's knees crying by a new release when you're using hardware that is years old. Newest thing you've got in that system is the graphics card. Everything else has been around for a long time. You can't really count RAM and HD's as it's been the same for a while in terms of AMD using PC3200.
OK , I know that. And if you would read I can run F.E.A.R. and Quake 4 fine. I dont know though. I understand that my processor is way out of date but it can still run it. My main reason for posting this is that I dont understand why it freezes. I mean you just heard the other guy say he has my same card and runs it fine. And yes I have googled it and no one seems to have the same problem.

Please don't laugh guys, but my only solution was to use Oldblivion. It works great with my 6600. I found out the problem is that I have to have the distant land slider all the way down. But with Oldblivion it is fine. I know its sad and that I should be able to run it ok but that was my only choice.

And if you would read I can run F.E.A.R. and Quake 4 fine.
I did read, and you apparently still aren't realizing that these games and hardware are getting outdated really freakin quickly. Beyond that, you decided to use doom3 as your example in that one particular sentence that I quoted.

HOWEVER, I do apologize for coming off way to rash and and like a jerk and all that so sorry for that man, it was uncalled for on my part.

It's alright it just ****es me off that people with 5200s can have draw distance all the way on and everything else turned down and run it fine when I cant and I have the better card. Well whatever im gonna stick with the old games. Thanks everybody for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom