Want to know what is ridiculous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuz_master

Banned
I can run Doom 3, F.E.A.R., Battlefield 2, Quake 4, Call of Duty, 2, FarCry, etc. on med/high settings when I get constant freezes from Oblivion. The only possible way for me to play it is at 640x480, all low settings(and I mean low, sliders all the way down, and everything off) Then it runs fine. When I first started the game, I turned it to 1280x760 or something and med/high settings, worked like a charm. When I got outside it would freeze, I would start running, freeze. WHAT IN GODS NAME IS GOING ON?!
here are my specs
GeForce 6600 256MB
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1 Gig of RAM
160 Gigs of HDD

BTW, when I get it running outside.....It looks like I tweaked a GeForce 4Ti

turn off exterior shadows that might help a bit but seriously you're pushing it with that card. Even I get low frames on high settings @ 1024*768 with my card (7800GS).

Oblivion is a real system hog, not sure i'd want to play it on less than an 6800 OC.

I have 2800 xp+, 1.5 GB ram, and geforce 6600 non-GT and I can only run bf2 at low/med settings without AA on multiplayer. So it is a pretty bad card for today's games.

buy one of those new gainward agp beasties, that'll sort you right out.

P.S i'm curious what memory benchmarks you get, your pc is similar to mine.

what is a gainward agp beastie? Oh and look at the top. I ran this game at 640x480 and all things turned off and low and still freezes. And to Gigabite's reply, I can run BF2 on med/high settings. Maybe im lucky.

Hey mrCoffee thanks for the ini file. It helped except im not going to play Oblivion now because it looks horrible when it should look just ok. It is just wierd how Doom 3 and all those others run great but this dont. Well whatever. Oh and if I had the money I would buy the card ur talkin about.

SO yea about me being able to play Oblivion on the El LANo Rig maxed out 1280x1024 w/out AA or AF. Only thing i have turned off is the grass cause its gay and i hate it. Oh and self shadows i believe cause w/ that card it looks like El Shito. BF2 and the others are the same w/ that machine.
AXP 2600+@2.4ghz
1.5gig DC PC2700
9800XT Oced

It is just wierd how Doom 3 and all those others run great but this dont.
Are you seriously unable to comprehend why that is?

Doom3 = ALMOST TWO FREAKIN YEARS AGO DUDE.

I mean jesus man, you're that shocked that a 2 year old game runs fine but a game JUST released doesn't?

Doom3 is all indoors, not huge environments, no HDR, not the same soft shadows I believe, etc...etc...

Oblivion is using basically all the latest shading, shadowing, mapping, textures, blah blah blah with the latest cards and things like SLI in mind.

For one, an athlon XP CPU isn't exactly hot stuff anymore. They aren't bad, but you're losing a TON of memory bandwidth compared to an AMD64 system. Beyond that a game like oblivion has dual cores in mind as well. Also, a 6600 256mb is already pretty outdated the way things have been advancing. Yeah doom3 ran on high when I had a 6600GT back after doom3 had first come out, but what the crap do you expect dude. The 6600GT was a midrange card for it's generation and now it's already two generations old.

None of this explains the freezing, but seriously man. Use some common sense about this......of course your system is going to be brought to it's knees crying by a new release when you're using hardware that is years old. Newest thing you've got in that system is the graphics card. Everything else has been around for a long time. You can't really count RAM and HD's as it's been the same for a while in terms of AMD using PC3200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom