half life 2 plot help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenNcheese

In Runtime
*WARNING: INCLUDES 'SPOILERS'*

yeah i just finished HL2 and i was wondering if i missed the plot. Cos b4 release everyone was saying that it was awesome and full secrecy about the plot and it would be full engrossing and stuff but i played it and i kinda missed the plot.

From what i gathered these evil dudes have taken over earth and practically enslaved everyone and sent those who oppose them to prison camps (a bit like the Commies did). Then u magically appear and u help the humans win, end of story. I mean where was the plot ppl? I think i missed it.

Plot aside fair effort game.

The plot of HL2 isnt that original in my opinion. In fact, its 100% cliche`. Its how the plot is executed that is amazing.

my friend loved it he's all "Yeah that's exactly how HL should be, the G-man and everything was something you never were really supposed to know too much about or completely understand the things happening around you"

but it just annoyed me, it's just like, boom you're tossed there, you kill people, then you're removed and it's all gone.

I'm not so sure the G-Man is human, or if he is it is either a parrallel universe or far into the future to spoil events from happening. Its just how this and last game seemed to pan out.

Basic rundown of the HL story from my understanding:

The human-type aliens you see in HL2 are called the Combine, they are an alienrace that basically extracts characteristics from other races to it's advantage, which explains why they have human traits in HL2. The combine basically go around enslaving planets, they strike a bargain with someone from the race they are invading, usually a leader, to pursuade others to welcome the combine

Now, jump back to before the original HL. The combine have invaded and enslaved Xen, the planet with the aliens you fight, with the help of the alien boss you fight and kill at the end. Xen consists of the electric shooting dudes which are like humans to earth, and wildlife such as headcrabs. The combine strike a deal between Breen, the head of Black Mesa at the time, much like with the alien boss, and offer him power if he helps with the invasion, so he basically screws up that little experiment at the start of HL1 on purpose, and that basically triggers the start of HL1

So the combine send to Xen slaves to invade earth through the portal, and as Gordan you run around fighting them. At the end of the game, you kill the head alien boss and basically "free" the Xen from the Combine, and Black Mesa gets nuked and you meet up with the G=man. Basically, Gordan gets "employed" by him to protect earth from combine

So we jump ahead in time, like 15 years or so. Gordan has been in stasis and the Combine have invaded, with the help of that Breen who you see on all the newspapers and stuff. He's basically the same as the alien boss and is pursuading people to welcome the combine

So G-man calls on Gordon to save the day, you eventually blow up that big tower thing at the end of the game while fighting the combine and random Xen wildlife at the same time, and are put back in stasis until you have to fight the combine in the future again at a future date

There's speculation to who the G-Man is, some think he's some sort of alien FBI type agent who is working against the combine or something

This site sums it up really well

http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/

The HL plot has so far been the best game storyline ever written IMO

I think there are better stories than Half Life...i admit its pretty cool after reading through that site, but I think there are some better stories. However, its the execution of its story that amazes me in Half Life 2. Just talking to the workers in the train station in the beginning blew my mind.

Desus Ex had one of the best stories ive ever seen/experienced. Independence War series was also cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom