Gaming/ Keyboard/ Mouse/ Unresponsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I posted something very similar to this, and I can't believe I'm back with the same problem.

Here's the previous thread if you want to take a look:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/keyboard-sticking-beeps-217546/

I play many different types of games (racing, adventure, action FPS), but it's only during FPS games were I experience this problem.

My keyboard and mouse become unresponsive when in-game. If I'm using the WSAD keys for movement, either my character will keep moving even though I've taken my finger off of the key and stopped pressing it, or, I press it, and my character won't move.

With the mouse, if I press the "fire" button, it either won't fire, or, keep firing repeatedly even though I'm not pressing the mouse button.

And, during the unresponsiveness, my system speaker frequently "beeps" at me. This is the "case" speaker (the system speaker that beeps during system boot up), not the speakers that are used for regular sound.

Previously, I had a wireless Microsoft keyboard & mouse combo, but it was hinted at in the previous thread that a wireless keyboard/ mouse isn't the best for gaming.

I now have "wired" components: Keyboard and mouse. I have a steelseries MERC Stealth keyboard, and a Razer DeathAdder mouse.

But I'm still getting the unresponsiveness and "beeping".

My system has all the latest updates/ drivers.

I even tried different USB slots for the mouse & keyboard just to see if it was that particular slot(s).

What the heck is going on?

I've tried searches on the 'Net using various key words, but nothing really out there on this.

Ever heard of anything like this? Any possible solutions or fixes?

Thanks for any help.
Pez

I didn't read the other thread, but the easiest thing to do would be to try another mouse and keyboard.

In this way we can determine if the problem is software or hardware. If the problem still occurs with different mouse/keyboard than the problem is software.

If the problem does not occur with a different mouse/keyboard than, thats that..

Thanks for the response, Ste.

Even if you didn't read the other thread, I still explain it in this one.

I have now tried more than one mouse & keyboard.

Previously, it was the Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 4000 (with mouse). I experienced the unresponsiveness.

Now I have the steelseries MERC Stealth keyboard, and a Razer DeathAdder mouse. And, I still get the unresponsiveness.

Two different keyboards, two different mice. Same problem.

Previously: Wireless keyboard and mouse.

Now: "Wired" keyboard and mouse.

Symptoms still the same: Unresponsiveness in games (action FPS) and case/ system speaker beeps at me.

What gives?!?! :wtf:
Pez

Thanks for the replies.

Whirlwind: Yes, I loaded the new drivers for both my new mouse and keyboard, and, even uninstalled the old ones before installing the new stuff.

gtr-2: So.....you've experienced this, too. I do in fact have Win XP....XP Pro, SP3.

Thanks for that Microsoft link; ahhhhhh, I have indeed heard of this StickyKeys feature before. It's been years, though, since my previous experience (or run-in with it), and I can't remember:

Do I want the StickyKeys feature turned ON or do I want it turned OFF? Because in a FPS game, there are of course plenty of times where you're pressing multiple keys, such as Shift and Space Bar to run and jump (along with the WSAD keys).

Who knows.....my problem all along could have been this StickyKeys feature (and not my wireless keyboard itself, the previous one I had).

gtr-2: Please let me know about the StickyKeys thing: Off or On? I brought it up from the Control Panel to check it out, and I noticed there are settings for "Sticky", "Filter", and "Toggle" keys. And within these settings are Options for having a "sound" played for when a key is pressed. Perhaps this is the system sound "beeps" I've been hearing?!?!

Weird thing, though, is that I don't have check marks in certain boxes, and yet in the Settings there are check marks for playing sounds, etc.

............Anyway.........please let me know if it should be enabled or disabled. Whatever worked for you when you were running XP and your keys became unresponsive and it would beep at you :big_smile:

Thanks,
Pez

Well I never used it for a purpose. I recognised the similar problems you were having, beeping from inside the computer etc. I just turned it off when the prompt window appeared. It showed up when I hit shift multiple times. I am surprised though you never saw the prompt window, maybe you were in a game when it appeared. There it asked if I wanted it on or off or cancel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom