game choice help

Status
Not open for further replies.
chickenfoot said:
it's better to dl steam, choose Activate a Product CD Key or something like that, type in your cd key, and wait until you dl all of the necessary files for the games. i wouldnt install directly from the cd that came in teh box.

ok so wait a minute. your saying that i shouldnt even install the cd from the box? then how will the files get onto my computer?

also.. if i get the halflife 2 game of the year edition (the only one i can find) do i have to just put the one cd key into steam in order to unlock both halflife 2 and CS source?

ok, when you install steam using the disks that you bought it'll give you the option of what to install. now uncheck counter strike source and/or anything else that you want to install later(you can install all games that are included in the cd later off the internet). once installed you won't be able to use any of the software untill you make a account with steam which you do by opening up steam and it will prommpt you to create a new account, eventually it will prompt you to enter your CD key. DO NOT lose or share or do anything stupid with your key because then if someone else has it they can cancel your account or whatnot and your totaly screwed. Although if you install it on another computer you can just login using the account you made.

ok well i already downloaded steam and i have an account set up. im going to buy the game today. do i just have to go into steam and put in my cd key? or do i have to install the game from the cd's first?

should i delete the steam that i downloaded and install the one that comes with the game?

im a little confused on how you set up a steam account without a cd key. But yea, install the steam that's in the cd. you might need to make a new account using the cd key. or, although I'm just guessing, if you enter the cd key into the steam account(i havn't a clue where though) you have right now then it might let you download the games you bought.That would seem to make sense but I'm not positive.

See how complicated / retarded steam is ? check the official valve forum, everyone's complaining about how it works. at least 30 posts about cdkeys everyday

and just to clarify with Deimos, yes you can setup a steam account without entering a cdkey at all. you just dont get to play anything
but you can still make it first and then activate the games steam has later by buying the game and installing it ( use the cdkey that the game comes with to unlock your games )

oh ok that makes sense. yea i totaly understand, steam is way over complicated. Apperently on my cd key you have to exclude the last 4 or 8 numbers, SO FRIGGIN RETARDED! drove me nuts, not to mention that their tech support page was not helpfull at all.

ok i got it now.. but if i put in my cd key.. do i have to download the entire half life 2 off of the steam server? i cant just install the game from the cd? it seems rediculous because that would mean that im paying $40 just for the cd key.. if im not even going to touch the cds.

Ugh I hate steam. One of the main reasons I dont play hl2 and CS. They should have just built-in a multiplayer mode into the game rather than crappy steam.

BF2 owns. to be honest, rainbow six rvs still owns.
well if u like tactical shooter.
or go for hl2 if u want just running and shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom