Do pc games support 1680 by 1050 resolutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint71

In Runtime
Im considering trying a 20 inch widscreen monitor but I dont know if games support this resolution. Does anyone know if the new games coming out will support this resolution.

PC games are able to push out resolutions of 2***x2*** (* meaning any number depending on resolution :p), PC gamers have been enjoying such high resolutions for years (which is why it annoys me so much when console gamers think their 'HD' games are so great - but that's another subject lol).

And there should be no need to edit any config files, most games will recognize your monitor's native resolution, if not there should be an option in your video card drivers (e.g. catalyst control center for ATI), to force a resolution of your choice.

Saint71 said:
Im considering trying a 20 inch widscreen monitor but I dont know if games support this resolution. Does anyone know if the new games coming out will support this resolution.

Yup, 20 inch WS monitors are becoming popular and the support for that weird resolution has gone up. Off topic, what monitor are you considering??

All the games I have so far play at 1680x1050 thats

BF2, FEAR, all the HL2 ones, Prey, Doom3, Quake3, Quake4, WolfET, RTCW, UTk24, CoD2

Well, i just bought this monitor on Friday.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001083

And so far i'm lovin' it. Yeah, a lot of games I've had to edit .cfg files or use command lines in shortcuts to force 1680x1050. And it's pretty nice to play in wide screen. Other games i've play support that resolution without tweaks. Like Company of Heros has widescreen settings and I play it for a few minutes and it was pretty wild. I'd recommend to anyone interesting in anything larger then 20" to make sure they have a mid to highend videocard to power those resolutions. I've found that my x1900xtx does lose a few FPS in games at 1680x1050. But, it's not enough to really effect anything.

I'd recommend this monitor, it's really sweet. Colors are really vivid and they;ve fixed the backlighting issue from a previous panel. Movies look incredible.

I'd have to say that after using a viewsonic vx-924 19" monitor for the last 8 month, this samsung 22" widescreen is pretty ballsy. and in some applications I think it's better. Specifically DVD's.

Make sure that your video card supports Wide Screen.
nVidia and ATi are not a problem there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom