Diablo 3, but it is a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepykins

Daemon Poster
So, blizzard have finally decided that 13 years is far too long to not have a Diablo sequel.

honestly, how many times can you keep coming back from hell ;)

from the screenshots, it looks to capture some of the old magic that D2 had and kept me captivated with for so long (hopefully a cow level)

Concerns i have are that,
1. Blizzard didnt look at the D2 economy that closely, older players will remember that gold was not important, people didnt buy items with gold. We ran the barter system, items for equivalent items. Soulbound items did not exist, so once you used a nice shield you sold it on.

2. the story will suck, they've really had to stretch it to make it seem more plausible this time and i hope that wont backfire, but blizz do hire some great writers and animators.

3. lack of talent points. many WoW players may not know that D2 conceived the talentpoint system used in WoW with branches for specs - D2 wont have this i hear, so whatever loadouts you have will define your characters stengths and weaknesses. Good ....but, archetypes usually branch from this and 2 or 3 strong combinations tend to dominate which is annoying.

Any thoughts anyone else? excited? :D

- also i felt very old at work the other day. my coworker had brought his 14 year old son into the office for work experience and i was chatting to his dad. and i asked if his son would play, who didnt seem that excited, and i said "well of course, i was playing D2 online when you were 3, and D1 when you were 1

Having played the beta I must say it was a huge disappointment. They have taken all the aspects of World of Warcraft and shoved them down Diablo's throat. First of all they have taken Battle.net and turned it into a gigantic piece of garbage, same with SC2. The gameplay itself is much lighter and your hand is held from the minute you spawn your new character. At the time I quit the beta they also were setting up the skills so each level forced you to choose from a preset of skills to make sure everyone would have a chance. I didn't play Diablo because it was easy and user friendly, it had variety and if I wanted to make a barbarian that just shouted or a paladin that just spawned magical hammers in a circle I could - now everyone will be 1 of the maybe 3 viable builds with each class.

Edit - to elaborate on Battle.net - they have completely removed the chat channels and the ability to host a game with a unique name - I assume there is a way to join up with friends but every time I joined a game I selected which quest I was on and got randomly tossed in. It's just too much to take.

Off topic but give Path of Exile a shot it's having a free stress test beta this weekend and THAT game feels how I was expecting D3 to plus it has quite a few neat mechanics.

'Most' is an overstatement. There's a few, mostly from Ubisoft (who for the most part I've boycotted for several years), and a couple from EA, who have now mostly stopped the practice.
That's not too much of an annoyance tbh, but having to be connected online to play with people in the same house - i.e. no LAN play - is the real dealbreaker for me.

+1 Yami. but I am a different reason. When I get underway and can't connect to the WWW, I still like to play my games. At least steam will allow off line mode to play Skyrim. :p

I can pretty much always connect to the net. It's more out of principle that I don't buy them. That and the oversimplification mentioned by you and PocketLips.

I'm excited for Diablo 3 nonetheless.. I didn't have a problem with Bnet on SC2 and judging from the beta, I won't have much of an issue with D3. I really like how you can just jump into a game... and the party system.

AND THE DEMON HUNTER!!! favorite character :tongue:

Oh, I'm still excited about it, it just sucks that I can only play it while I'm home. I played the beta and it was kinda cool, but to me it just looked like a newer version of II.

But with all the people playing I only got to actaully play online for about 45 mintues to an hour at most, so I didn't see much after about level 5. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom