Buying A New Computer... Processor help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KryptoKnight

In Runtime
Hey guys, it's my first post here but it seems like you would help me the best. I'm getting a Dell XPS 400 (customized so it's about a XPS 600 but cheaper), and it has pretty good stuff: 2 gb of RAM, a NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX 256 mb gfx card, 160 gb hard drive etc. I have a problem, though.

SInce I'm just a kid, this is my first custom built pc and I don't know how good my processor really is. It's an Intel Pentium D proccesor 2.8 ghz. Is that good enough to keep my frame rates high? Also, give any suggestions for a PC below 2000 dollars thatg would be better than the Dell. Thanks!

Well someone that feels confident in tech stuff would build there own probably and get an opteron and Overclock it. It really is cheaper and better to build your own but if you dont want to do that there are other good sites around that allow you to make custom PCS and they are cheaper, search around before you choose to get your PC. That processor is pretty good but honestly Id go AMD right now, their processors seem to be dominating intels.

good idea. I searched alienware(that was the first thing I did), but they were kind of expensive. I also checked a pc company from a magazine and they were pretty good too. I might check that again.

To h4x: because I'm new, but thanks for asking. :) and ill probably upgrade the Pentium D to a 3.0 ghz cuz that's all I can afford on my budget

oh if i get an AMD Athlon Processor what's a good one like 3.0 ghz or more? Sorry I've been with Intel all my life.

Oh, and if anyone's looking for a good gaming pc, check ibuypower.com They have great prices.

Updated Comp: 500 watt power supply, AMD Athlon-6400 3200 Processor(should I upgrade?), eVGA nForce-4 SLI Chipset Dual DDR w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB, 2gb of Ram, dual NVidia Geforce 7800 GTXes, 250 gb hard drive, and the onboard sound card. What should I change? Oh and by the way, it's 2000 bucks. Unbelievable lol.

They way that AMD chips work are that a 3200 chip is supposed to be as good or better then a 3.2ghz pentium chip. That one you selected is a single core chip but its pretty good. The best amd chips are the opterons (which you probably wont see on a custom build website), fx series (expensive), and the x2 series(probably will be on site). The other pentium chip you originally had i think is dual core which is nice but so far games dont really take adcantage of them, they will though.

Oh and about your pc, that looks good BUT in all honesty I'd ditch the 2 7800gtx, SLI really isnt wort the price/performance ratio. 1 7800gtx will be just fine, spending the extra cash on a processor would be a better bet.

Don't get a dell, build your own computer. for the best parts and prices, you should go to newegg.com thats where i shop for my computer parts.

Thanks!

Hey Guys, thanks, I asked one of my friends(he's only 13 but he's a huge computer nerd and his dad worked at IBM) to build me a computer. It turned out a LOT cheaper. I'm happy. Thanks again!

Oh, and I'll tell hin to get it from newegg.com

Mr_Threepwood said:
They way that AMD chips work are that a 3200 chip is supposed to be as good or better then a 3.2ghz pentium chip.

My 3200+ does far better than my friend's P4 3.6ghz in 3dmark05 and aquamark.

Id also scrap the dual 7800 GTX setup. IMO, the dual 7800 GTX thing generates far too much heat and draws too much power to be entirely stable.

Also, good call on building it - it will save you a LOT of cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom