Backing up Half life2 before reformat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quiq

Baseband Member
Got a question for you. Im half way through the game and need to reformat the computer. To be able to play the game where I left off later on, do I just go to the SAVE folder in Half Life 2 and back that folder up? Then when I reinstall the game I can paste the save folder to the directory and everything will work? or is there more to it?

I have my install of Steam on a second hard drive (D). Whenever I format my main drive (C)and reinstall my PC all I do is reinstall steam (using the 700k steaminstaller.exe) in the same directory as before on the D drive. and it saves everything (cfg files, screenshots, demos, etc).

I've also copied my Steam folder from one PC to another, ran the steaminstaller to install steam back into the new folder on the new pc and had it working within minutes.

I've heard you can copy the folder which contains your personal game data too (the one in the steamapps folder named the same as your username) and just put it back in the same place once you've reinstalled steam. You'd have to wait for steam to update before you could play though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom