Not sure what to name this, just read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
Hey guys-

EDIT- I'm pretty sure this is the right place to post this topic, if not, my apologies-

It's been awhile since my last post. I promise this isn't a, "what should I get" post.

Anyway. I guess their are multiple questions I have. So here it goes, follow along if you can, haha.

So I guess my first question is, any idea why they don't make high-def games for PC? I mean aren't LCD HDTV's made with the same technologie as LCD monitors are? High-def games dont require blu-ray or HD-DVD's. So why aren't they made yet?

EDIT: I should probably add that games, IMO, tended to looks better on the 360, this is why I got under the impression they aren't in high-def on PC

I guess this matters to me because, I was a previous owner of a Xbox 360, and I sold it to a buddy of mine because I wasn't very happy with the games that were out for it, (mind you gears of war wasn't out yet) so I sold it back in august.

Now, the PS3 is out, and around here we get shipments in once a week or so. So getting one isn't really a huge problem, it's just not easy.

I have a 32" LG LCD HDTV and I love it. My 360 looked absolutely amazing on it. But I don't get high-def cable and I don't have a blu-ray or hd-dvd player, (because I'm not down for forking out 500+ for one). Anyway, the 360 made me love the high-def "experience".

Now I'm sorry if I'm un-educated in this part. Maybe games are already high-def for computers and I just don't notice it?

When I had my 360, I hooked up my 360 and my computer to my TV. I played need for speed most wanted:blacklist on it from my PC and my 360. I noticed the 360 version looked a good amount better, (and it was playing at 720p).

I also tried this with quake 4, but it looked about the same. And now, playing gears of wars at my buddys house on a SDTV looked amazing, but they don't have it for the PC. If they did, would you think it'd look just as good on the PC?

I'm just torn between a couple things. For the price of a PS3, (I'd get the $500 version, MAYBE the $600), I could get a 8800GTS(I think), that would just be insane. Because, well DX10 is going to be isane, and I think we've all seen crysis haha.

I mean, if you were in my shoes, would you-

A) Get a 8800GTS and another 512MB or mem( I currently have 1.5gigs)

B)PS3 that plays all playstation games, (well that can be debated),plays blu-ray(which might end up becoming the next betamax(which could also be debated)),and can run linux, and has MGS4.

C)Get a 360 and teh HD-DVD add-on(which could also become the next betamax, which is also debateable).

Now keep in mind i'm a HUGE first person shooter fan and race fan simunlation/arcade fan. And I LOVE the metal gear solid franchise.

Haha, ok this did turn into a what should I get post, sorry.hahaha. I also apologise if parts of this didn't make sense, I was up playing need for speed carbon on my computer way too late last night.

You can adjust the resolution in most games. You can use way higher resolutions than PS3/Xbox360 in many PC Games.

1. Go for the PC

2. HD is just a term that makes console gamers think they're getting some flashy new technology - it's not, PC's have been using way higher resolutions for years.

I see, thanks for the input guys. I've just heard that term HD used ALOT with consoles and was confused why pc games aren't in HD, but now I understand what it means haha.

baronvongogo-

The only problem with that is having a video card that can do that haha.
I tried that in NFS:Carbon, and it didn't work too well with my video card haha.

Also, maybe i should make another thread for this question, I'm sure it's been asked before. But what's the average lifespan for video cards? I got my 7800 GT in oct. of 05 and it can play NFS:carbon at 1152x864 well, but anything above that you really notice a difference in the frame rate.

lifespan as in how long they last before dying could be many years 5+

lifespan as in when you cant play games on high anymore ;) then id say 1 1/2 years maybe 2 at most! that only takes into account if you buy the best at the time such as the 8800GTX now it should last a good year or 2.

That's the one thing that gets me about computers, its wayyyy spendy. Im fine with playing them at 1152x864. I just can't keep up with how fast technology advances with computers!

haha ya, lifespan meaning playing games on high settings. I mean that way you get the most out of what you got. But ya, can't say I'll be getting the 8800gtx version, those are like 500 bucks.

I guess that's the one reason why I sort of like consoles, you don't have to keep upgradeing them. It's a one time lump sum and you're set for 4 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom