WMV Encoding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcombes

Solid State Member
I have a iPaq PDA H1940, and i have brought an 256mb SD RAM thing of it.
I have lots of DivX movies and i want to compress them down to about 30m each, BUT i don't want to use DivX i want to use WMV.
So does ANYONE know how this can be done???

Ross Combes
combes@iprimus.com.au
:)

sry buddy
i assume ur talkin about memory in ur post however thats irrelevant. most of the full length divx movies ive seen r about 700mbs depending on the quality and of course the length.(made so theyll fit on a single cd). now im hoping ur not talkin about compressing a 700mb movie down to 30mb as divx is already highly compressed and to compress something that much farther would b an amazing feat, more like impossible. encoding from divx over to wmv would also take some serious time. it took my computer bout 4 hours to encode a dvd to divx with a 1.8ghz athlon and 768mbs of ddr.
what i do is try to get the movies that r 700mbs or less so. they'll fit on a cd or i have to split them(grr) and just keep them all on cds til i wanna watch them i rip to my HD and delete them when im done just so my cd-rom isnt runnin for 2 hours straight.
im not a big video editing guru so i could b wrong but i think ur divx movies are about as small and compressed as ur gonna get them.
and im curious if u have them in divx format already why would u want to go thru the trouble of converting to wmv. the only thing i can think of is that i believe some dvd players support wmv.

Thanks for your reply!
i want to encode movies that are about 30mb in DivX in to about 30mb WMV format.
I know that it would be impossible to encode a 700mb DivX movie in to a 30mb format.
So do you know how to make one small DivX in to one small WMV???

Ross Combes
:)

ooooooooo i c what ur after now
i wish u would have just posted "how do i convert divx to wmv?" originally but o well
alright heres ur answer
at first i started searchin the net for a free .avi to .wmv converter for u but all that i found didnt look too promising. then i discovered that u prolly already have what u need already on ur machine. its called windows movie maker. hopefully ur runnin win xp cuz thats what i was using. if u r then awesome cuz this is a breeze. first things first i had windows movie maker(now referred to as wmm). i had wmm1 on my puter and i started tinkering with it since i had no prior experience with it and tried to do some stuff with an avi with and it froze so my first thing for u to do is dload wmm2 from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...84-6f21-43e2-b4e2-051f72c11a77&DisplayLang=en this is only for win xp so if ur runnin an earlier vers. of windows go find the appropiate one for ur OS on microsofts site.
after i installed wmm2 things went beautifully and it has a much better interface.
i dunno how computer "smart" u r so i'll help ya out. after uve installed wmm2 import ur movie ur wishing to convert and it will make a number of separate clips from it. rite click on them and select all, then drag the whole bunch down to the timeline thingy at the bottom. after that all that should b left is for u to save it, it will automatically convert to .wmv, so go to save to my computer and save it to where u want and it will encode and save it for ya.
i converted a pink floyd video from avi to wmv and it came out excellent so that should b all u have to do.
remember, this was all done on xp so if u have a different OS it could b different for u. im also hopin that wmm isnt just for win xp
hope that helps
plz post ur results and if u have ne problems let us kno

best regards
neversleeps

o and one other thing i forgot to mention, make a back up of ur movie first in case something goes terribly awry. \

neversleeps

wow i just keep thinkin of things i should have posted in the first one, not really important but i was amazed at the size of the video compared to the original avi. the original was 17.3mb while the converted wmv was only 8.86mb. less than half the size of the original!!!!!!!! i was under the impression that avi and divx were already about as compressed as they were gonna get but like i said im not a video geek but at least we both have learned from this. and btw go microsoft, horay u did something rite for a change!! looks like i know what i'll be doin if i start running short on HD space, lol

here i go again, i was readin ur first post again and was like what the hell is a iPaq PDA H1940. so of course i had to find out and now i understand y u want ur movies in wmv format considering thats all it will play if im correct , so ya i answered my own question

Hey, thanks for that.
By The Way, the iPaq H1940 is a Pocket PC (PDA).
Yeah, So Thanks Again!!!

Please Anyone want to comment about any of this.

Ross Combes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom